How has your life changed in Mongolia

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to Mongolia? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Mongolia? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Mongolia has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla:

Do not have much time to post in the forum lately. In short, I am an American engineer, contracted through Rio Tinto (mining corporate) to assist in development improvements.

In my particular situation (speaking only for me), I have had to stick closely to the professional teams I associate with, as we are all here on a limited tour of duty. The reason this is important, we do not lose focus on the reason we all signed on. Most of us have memberships at "Olymp Fitness Mongolia" gym when we are not working on our laptops at Café Amsterdam or boots-on-the-ground in the Gobi. I still enjoy strolls through Sükhbaatar Square or hiking up Zaisan Hill.

Early on, I thought it continental to bond with the locals (when in Rome). We were cautioned early on, that the Mongolian ladies have an affinity for young foreign professionals (especially American), and can be intoxicating to receive all this attention. We were warned, that the Mongolian ladies are amazing in their homeland (they are part of the Steppes they live on), however, never assimilate well when emigrating to other countries (especially European), and better to leave them be. They weren't kidding. I find the Mongolian ladies much taller and shapelier than other Asian counterparts I have experienced. As you know, it is not unusual seeing Mongolian girls 5'7", 5'8" or taller. Anyhow, dating pretty Mongolian girls is easy, fun and fulfilling! My heart floated when I was among them. I dated many ladies, however began dating a local girl exclusively who spoke very good English - Chinua. She was tall, athletic, beautiful. I was fully smitten when we went horseback riding across the Steppes. I am from California, however, the way the Mongolian ladies ride horses is amazing. To make a long story short, I was mesmerized by Chinua, she was everything I ever envisioned a woman to be, and more (feminine, strong, fun). I began falling behind on tasks, finding myself waking up in the Ger District when I should have been on a morning helicopter to the Gobi (you know there are terms and conditions when we sign these contracts). Chinua was additionally waking up more and more in my apartment (be design). I began feeling that this beautiful woman was directing my time, and found I was spending less, and less time on other times (no gym visits for example). It was also divulged to me by a girl in the Ger district close to Chinua, that she was disappointed she had not yet become pregnant, and not using birth control as she had told me she was. The folks at the Embassy cautioned about this, as the Mongolian ladies know that Americans come from a Christian base, and will more often than not take the pregnant girl with them when they depart.

I believed this information credible, however began abstaining from traditional sex with  Chinua, who was then becoming more and more obstinate, trying to force the issue. It was then that I began seeing more clearly that my "strings were being pulled". All this time thinking I was the one in control, and finding I was making very few independent decisions where Chinua involved. I then was left with no recourse but to cut-off our relationship and remember why I am in UB - to make approximately 5x the salary I would make for the same service back in the States. I still have a true appreciation for the Mongolian ladies (the true jewel of the land), however, know that in another few short months I will be on to another assignment elsewhere. I am keeping my nose to the proverbial grindstone and one day hope to tie-the-knot, however on my terms.

Hamish