How has your life changed in Kenya

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to Kenya? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Kenya? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Kenya has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,
My life has changed quite a bit since I came to Kenya. In some aspects for better, in some others for worse. To start with the good things first; the weather is lovely all the time, I switch on the fan only while I sleep. There are so many trees around, especially in the residential compound where I stay that it's a delight to see trees laden with mangoes, loquat fruits, guavas etc. The vegetable markets are a visual delight again with fresh vegetables and fruits, the people are very warm and friendly. In terms of lifestyle, almost everything and some more, is available that I would have had in my country. Now the not so good ones; to start with I held a very good job, one that paid very well and kept me busy. Now I am a trailing spouse, looking for a good job, people are very impressed with my CV but no job yet, my special pass for a consultancy has been approved though, so some happiness there. I will need to have a work permit to work here but most spouses I have met have not been able to find any work, a situation I quite dread and may sent me back packing. Second, everything is audaciously expensive here even after taking the currency difference into account. There is perhaps no concept of saving for the rainy day here, something that in my culture starts at a very early age. The biggest drawback that I see is the lack of safety, which has cut down my independence drastically! We do not have driving license yet and also love to walk which helps to explore the place but we seem to be out of place completely when we talk a walk with our dog in the evenings. Everyone else is driving and looking at us weirdly. When the sun sets, you just clam up in the house, cut off from everything because it is just so unsafe to be out lest you get robbed, mugged, carjacked whatever!!! There is a deep malaise there, some people just want to live off others which needs to be addressed soon and well. I wish all well, its a lovely place, must stay that way :)
Thanks