How has your life changed in Ecuador

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to Ecuador? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Ecuador? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Ecuador has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Has your life changed since you moved to Ecuador? If so, in what way?

Yes, my life has changed because Ecuador is becoming home with each passing day and it's a good feeling.

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

My mood is definitely happier here. And I'll focus this part of the post on my local friends because they are the new variable in my life and a main reason why I love it here. First I have to say there are friends and then there are friends. I have quite a number of friends but only 3 close friends and they are all Ecuadorians. I know their families, friends and lives. These relationships didn't happen overnight, it took a lot of time for trust to develop and to be comfortable with each other. With one of my friends I had to gain the trust of his wife because she is so overprotective of him.

These close relationships are truly priceless for an expat or otherwise. A lot of my time is spent with my friends, just to talk, drink coffee/beer, and do whatever. It helps fill a void for me personally because I love having friends, and it absolutely helps with assimilation. You know when we were kids if you wanted to go out with a hot girl, then let her see you with a hotter girl. It's an appropriate analogy because other Ecuadorians will be more receptive to you when they see you hanging out with Ecuadorians. This is definitely true with my neighbors, it's true elsewhere too. 

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

My favorite hobby is increasing my social network and the people here make it easy so this is definitely a plus for Ecuador. Recently I was asked by a couple to join them for cycling on the weekly bicycle day in which traffic is closed. That's an example of friendliness here. I'm going to accept their invitation and take it from there. Although it wasn't always like this especially when I didn't know much Spanish and it's good to remind oneself of that fact. But to interact with friendly people and to learn a language while doing it is awesome.

As for how much time, I would say a considerable amount and I balance the time between my time, family and friends.

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Ecuador? What income differences have you noticed?

The standard of living whether living here or elsewhere has been consistent we're middle class in the developed world and that's how it is in Ecuador. One might save money on rent for example but those savings go elsewhere to maintain a consistent standard of living.

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Ecuador has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

I can't really put a value to it but Ecuador has made a positive difference. The friendliness and weather which are big issues for me are on the plus side.

Hi !
Love what you're doing!
Not moved to EC yet.  I cant waite to get back, this time permanently.

I can tell you that since I made the decision to move to EC on my month+ visit last year.
All I  think about is the move!  I do whatever I need to do to get there next yr.
I almost live for the move.  I hope next yr (?)  when you do this,  I will be there able to answer those ?

Good luck to all

MGLuke wrote:

Not moved to EC yet.  I cant waite to get back, this time permanently.

All I  think about is the move! 
I almost live for the move.

Good luck to all

Ecuador is definitely deserving of such strong feelings because there are good people here. If interaction with locals is a criteria for you then your positively strong feelings for Ecuador will likely translate to happiness. This is my opinion as I'm sure there are isolationists who are doing good, but those seem to be the exception.