How has your life changed in Cambodia

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to Cambodia? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Cambodia? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Cambodia has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

HI

Greetings to you.

Yes, of course, my life changed when i moved here. Doing here great, life is wonderful.   Even though ups and downs, but its fantastic.

Cambodia teaching many new things in my life, if you want to taste it, you have to visit and stay some time then you feel the same.

i can spend  maximum here and mind blowing are in Cambodia gives me. This time have to say thanks to god.

Richard

Seeing how I have been an expat all my life and I came from Vietnam, where I had been for 15 years, I cannot really say that things have changed a lot. So, on a scale of 0-10, it would probably be a 0.

I always make sure I take my time out for leisure activities; I think it is important for an expat to look after his/her health. I have seen too many expats get on a slippery slope what with the cheap booze and the cheap eating out.

I have left Phnom Penh 7 months ago after  staying for 2 years.  I left  PP with a little sadness not becoz I missed the place but i had a misfortune encounter.  I lend some money USD1000 to my friend's father as a back-up for her emergency use (my khmer friend gave up her job and study in PP and follow her aunt to USA to earn more money).  Due date to return the money is end Dec.  One day during a conversation with the father, I came to know he has asked his daughter to use the money for clothing and cosmetic. Angry I ask him to retun but he told me I should honor my word for the repayment time. So I waited till end Dec.  By tht time, he gave me an excuse tht he need money for surgery. When I visited PP again in Dec, he told me he has loan fm bank to get money to buy an airtkt for his brother-in-law to join his wife in USA. He also used the remaining money to renovate his kitchen. Seems he never thought of returning my money.  Out of kindness becoz of his surgery, I gave him until end Feb to return as he ask for more time. End feb passed and I didnt hear from him. By March I messaged him again and he kept quiet. Then later he even delete himself fm my facebook fren list.

Clearly he deliberately run away fm returning my money. I felt sadden by his action as he's a teacher in Takeo Tramkok province with no integrity and no man of honor. What a shame and disgrace. I realised my fren, her daughter's ungratefulness has also comes from his genes.

Not all khmer people are bad but this experience has strike me.

I have been in Phnom Penh , around 15 months in the last two years, in my experience, it's a new experience each time , I never realized what a sheltered life I had been living, I have traveled around Southeast Asia, but always just feel at home in this city!

I would give it a +10.

Turns out I brought all my unsolved life problems with me when I retired here 2 years ago: self-destructive addictions and all....
Can I make a happy life for myself on a $600 a month Social Security income here in Siem Reap? Not without the help of Cambodian friends. Not if I want to keep my 22 year old Cambodian Ladyboy girlfriend happy.....
If, like me, you had your kids at 20 years old and put off your teenaged dreams until 65....you are in for a wild ride... U could end up losing your money, your pride and self-respect  the respect of everyone you know, and yet....your Cambodian "family" will love you anyway because you are just a crazy barang who is only hurting himself.
Stop drinking. Take responsibility for making your own life no matter how disappointing the results are at first.
Welcome to Cambodia. There is a lot more love here than the US. :)

Consider yourself lucky it was only $1000....an expensive lesson but worth learning.
Good fortune to u....your generous heart will recover....:)

Hi,

Wow!  I'd have to say 10+.  I came to Cambodia in late 2012 at 67 years old and I turn 73 next month.  I had traveled to numerous countries on the planet and enjoyed most, but I never "resonated" with any country the way I have with Cambodia.  I suspect I had a past life, quite a while ago, in this land.  When I hear old classic Cambodian music I frequently burst into tears and get goosebumps.  I am very comfortable here despite not being able to speak the language (which really bothers me).  I love this place.

Beyond that, if you had asked me before leaving The States, "So, do you think you'll ever get married again?" I would have laughed and replied, "No way!  Been there/Done that."  Let me be honest here.  After my first year here, I went on a "Dating Website"........a good one, not some sexpat hookup scene, one October and listed my home as Siem Reap, Cambodia.  My expectations were extremely low and I promptly forgot about it.  The following April.......six MONTHS later......I got a notice that someone had responded to my ad and they were from Siem Reap, Cambodia.  I couldn't believe it!  Then I read the profile and saw that he was only 27 years old.  My hand started to reach for the "Not Interested" button and something told me to read his statement.  He said he's always been attracted to older men and he was interested in a genuine long-term loving relationship.  Nothing of a sexual nature was even hinted at.  I hesitated still, but decided I could always tell him to "take a hike" once I found out that he was either a hustler (male prostitute) or a gold-digger.  Bottom line is we met and found out we both are genuine, fell in love and a year and a half later obtained (with GREAT difficulty) a Visa to go to the USA where we were legally married in my home state of Vermont, supported by family and friends.  We'll celebrate our 4th anniversary living together this July. 

All this because I came to live in the Kingdom of Wonder!

Good for you never say never, ha I too feel something about Cambodia that I don't seem to find or feel the same in other Southeast Asia, but I think I found what I want in Phnom Penh , no lady yet , but who knows?

If your time in Cambodia has been otherwise good, it is worth much more than the US1,000.

Good for you Tripophile10, a lovely story and hope you are happy for many years to come.

Tom

The old saying never lend money to Family or Friends rings true here I think. I feel sorry for you, you put friendship and trust in them.