Currency..Mauritian rupees and American dollars

Hello locals Can someone explain the currency in Mauritius and break it down for me.please. Should I get cashand if so what's a good amount to have  or use my American Visa Card or can I even use my American credit cards looking for positive and helpful suggestions
Thank you
Victoria

Hi Victoria, how long will you stay in Mauritius ?

I recommend you to change a bit of cash, Shibani often proposes the best prices, and obviously pay by credit card when needed. But I believe it is much cheaper to change a large amount (e.g. USD500) than paying 10 times with your credit card as transactions fees could be a bit expensive

Awww thank you for that should I wait till I get there to do exchange and I am there almost a month ..I would like to avoid high credit card charges is 500.00 American a substantial amount there?

depends on what you plan to do ... if you have to pay for your accommodation, dinners outside, car rental and so on to enjoy the destination, you might need more than this I guess.

This said, I don't know what's your plan so I can't help much on this

Hi again my friend
I still have Mauritius rupees in my house for my next trip and here are some images of the money.
https://www.google.mg/search?q=mauritiu … &dpr=1

The best exchange rate can be found here Bank of Mauritius
https://www.bom.mu/

I have a bank account set up in Mauritius done years ago, so I can transfer money from USA at the best rates and just take as I need.  You could do this with your friend and the cost is $45 for unlimited amounts depending on the USA Bank.  In this case I go with Wells Fargo--never a problem as the money always arrives within two days, at least here in Madagascar, for the past 12 years.

I would take out closer to $1200 if you go this route as cash is king and using credit cards and especially debit cards can be hacked. 
Also I contact my credit cards of my time out of the country so they do not block my cards. I am curious about the American Express as well.
Also ATMs have taken( Eat) my cards ( in different countries not Mauritius) and I had to go to the bank the next day to retrieve my card---a hassel for sure . If possible hold onto your card to fight the machine from taking your card- I have done this also and I won that round.

SO again $1200 is a better figure, Why??? Tourists pay the highest prices if the locals can get away with that and as for a taxi as I remember is about 30 to 40 dollars from Airport to Grand Baie ( not cheap), about a hour drive and you have to bargain prices, for even though they are outfitted with meters they will say their verbal price is better than the meter.  All Taxi drivers are cut from the same mold.  I remember asking some 12 drivers that are lined up outside of the airport. 
Taxi is great when you are tired but the bus is a Mauritian experience for $3 or less.

Take your time and enjoy
Alex

Victoria

You can use your bank card at any bank ATM machine for withdrawals in Mauritian rupees.

Alex you are a great help to me thank you
May I continue to ask you questions as a resource
Thank you
Victoria

TropicAlex wrote:

Hi again my friend
I still have Mauritius rupees in my house for my next trip and here are some images of the money.
https://www.google.mg/search?q=mauritiu … &dpr=1

The best exchange rate can be found here Bank of Mauritius
https://www.bom.mu/

I have a bank account set up in Mauritius done years ago, so I can transfer money from USA at the best rates and just take as I need.  You could do this with your friend and the cost is $45 for unlimited amounts depending on the USA Bank.  In this case I go with Wells Fargo--never a problem as the money always arrives within two days, at least here in Madagascar, for the past 12 years.

I would take out closer to $1200 if you go this route as cash is king and using credit cards and especially debit cards can be hacked. 
Also I contact my credit cards of my time out of the country so they do not block my cards. I am curious about the American Express as well.
Also ATMs have taken( Eat) my cards ( in different countries not Mauritius) and I had to go to the bank the next day to retrieve my card---a hassel for sure . If possible hold onto your card to fight the machine from taking your card- I have done this also and I won that round.

SO again $1200 is a better figure, Why??? Tourists pay the highest prices if the locals can get away with that and as for a taxi as I remember is about 30 to 40 dollars from Airport to Grand Baie ( not cheap), about a hour drive and you have to bargain prices, for even though they are outfitted with meters they will say their verbal price is better than the meter.  All Taxi drivers are cut from the same mold.  I remember asking some 12 drivers that are lined up outside of the airport. 
Taxi is great when you are tired but the bus is a Mauritian experience for $3 or less.

Take your time and enjoy
Alex

Better rates to be had with cash (in places), usually get about 1 rupee more per gbp than the stated BoM rate.