Posted on Facebook - Is this correct?

I heard that people are required to report their residence address immediately upon arrival now.  The arrival card alone is insufficient.  For people staying in hotels, this is no big deal because the hotel reports it.  But for people who own or rent their own room, they must register in person within 24 hours of arrival.  A friend of mine got fined 1600 baht for not doing this.  I arrived in October and reported on a 90 day last month and had no problem, so apparently this is a new rule ?  I heard the fine can be as much as 4000 baht.

This "new" rule is enforced amoung the expats who are staying in Thailand long-term visa.
OFFICIALLY everyone should report him/herself within 24 hours after settling down in a certain place, but enforcing this rule is absolutely impossible.......millions of tourists change address more than once during the short stays in Thailand.

There's 2 ways of reporting:
1. The owner/management of the property where you are staying is obliged to report your presence using a TM30 form.
2. Long stayers have to report every 90 days at the nearest immigration. Officially you have to report within 24 hours after you've moved, but most if not all immigration-people have no clue about what you want and tell you to follow the 90-day routine.

However.......it is known that Immigration in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai do enforce the 24 hour reporting rule more strict than others.

Most important is: Verify upon checking in to a hotel or any other accommodation that your bio-data are being reported to immigration.