Family of 4 moving to Thu Dau Mot - any advise acceptable.

Hello, everybody!

We are a family of 4 (mom+dad+2 sons). My husband got a job transfer to Vietnam. His factory is located in VSIP II, so we are moving to Thu Dau Mot as the closest town. We are moving at the end of April.

His company will cover the rental fees, but we should find the apartment for us by ourselves.
So, I would like to ask for advice about the best part of Thu Dau Mot )) to live.

Kids will learn at home, and I work from home as well - so we will not need schools around, but what about markets, molls, some entertainment around?  I can't drive - so we will need it all within walking distance.

Also, I will be grateful for some shopping advises - where and what to buy (or not to buy).

Thanks a lot!

I haven't been there so i can't offer any experience; seems to be a pretty small place on the map. Here is how to find out some stuff:

Open Google maps.
Search "Thủ Dầu Một".
Zoom in, and search for Thủ Dầu Một shopping, Thủ Dầu Một schools etc.
I see a Coop-mart and a Big C, they are combination food and household product stores with aircon.
Sometimes google understands the english word. Use google translate to search better. You can set your Google browser location to Viet Nam also.

For housing start with Vietnamese websites. Use Chrome browser for built in translations.
You can search for apartments online but you have to search in Vietnamese or you will just see websites in english with prices inflated for expats. Start studying vietnamese, it will help a lot!

Without the squiggle marks, cho thue =  for rent or for lease, can ho = apartment, so try
cho thue can ho Thủ Dầu Một
You will see sites like batdongsan, chotot, alonhadat, muaban (literally buysell), etc
Also note names are written as single syllable words, so Da Nang, Da Lat, etc not Danang, Dalat.
Chrome browser will help translation.

You know probably your best resource is to contact other expats at your husband's company, see where they live, what schools they use. Help you to find out what you should bring, also.

Walking to get from point A to point B is not feasible at all. Not even remotely feasible or even possible. Even to get out of the factories in VSIP II onto the main road of Quoc Lo 13 (Highway 13) in Binh Duong is a trek. Markets/malls/points of interests are not bunched together in Binh Duong. If your husband is being sent to Vietnam for work he should ask for a monthly allowance from his company for taxis or a taxi card. Most companies provide it and im surprised they haven't already mentioned it. Lugging around your groceries in 35 degree Celsius heat would get old after the first 2 minutes.

They just recently built a new Aeon Mall near VSIP II a few years back. Although I have never seen anyone buy anything from any of the department stores, the grocery store in there is the best for quality and selection (although that is not saying much for Binh Duong). A little up north there is a Metro that sells bulk items such as drinks and mostly frozen Australian and US beef.

I noticed that your profile says you are from Ukraine. I do HIGHLY recommend that you bring any or all types of spices/ingredients that you like to cook with because I can guarantee you will not be able to find them in Binh Duong.

I have been living and working in Binh Duong for over 5 years. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Good point, JVo18, no Vietnamese people walk anywhere, even in Saigon. Only tourists, and expats in housing areas w/o motorbikes, walk. Because heat mainly.

Thank you for advises )

Thank you so much!

The Company is giving allowance and they cover "local transport" expenses, so I'm not worried about this part.

Would you please advise if there is a difference in Internet connection quality? Does it matter where to live in means of good strong connection? I do realize, that overall situation is not perfect, but have to choose the best possible "internet" accommodation.

Thanks for the cooking advice - I missed that point!