Need advice and information on buying property

I am Victoria, from Minnesota, USA. I will be in the NW and Western parts of PR in early April 2017. We have been to San Juan, Fajardo and Vieques. We love the beach scene, love snorkeling & history & tropical fruits, and we are okay with crowds. We are all women so living all alone out in the country is not attractive. We don't want to be stuck in very tiny islands like Vieques, so mainland PR is perfect for us.

The goal of the trip is to look for a small condo/house as a vacation property at the current time, and to use as a future second home when we are retired ($100k-$150k price range). I am reaching out to the real estate agents: Carlos Torres and Juanita Guedea.

I am in my 40s. Because we just love a warm water beach & snorkeling, and we speak very little Spanish (but want to learn), I think it makes sense to buy property in the following areas: Cabo Rojo, Rincon and Isabela.

These are the questions I have for the forum:

-What other beach cities should we consider?

-Once we buy the property, we only plan to visit PR about 4-5 times a year for 2-4 weeks each time (for the next 5 years). Therefore, we are worried about petty crime when the property sits empty, i.e., burglary of home and our car. We don't need a fancy condo with 24/7 security guards but are seeking a 800-1000 finished square feet home in a middle class neighborhood (not a poor neighborhood). The question is:  is it wiser to just pay a bit more and buy in a gated community versus a regular non-gated street? Part of me thinks I may be too paranoid in buying in a gated community...but I also dont want to show up at my second home only to discover all the furniture, appliances and plumbing have been stolen.

-I see some nice properties in non-gated communities. They usually cost $10k-$30k less than gated communities. There is fencing on the front of the property, and gates for the front door and garage, but the backyard fencing would be easy for someone to climb over if they were really determined. Do these single-home-property fencing/gates really prevent breakin's, or are they just to make the homeowners FEEL more secure?

-Regarding the non-Gringo people who live in Cabo Rojo versus Rincon versus Isabela:  how are they different? For example, in terms of lifestyle, income, education, attitude toward US mainlanders who buy property next door, etc.

-Do the north and NW beaches have stronger and bigger waves than the SW beaches in the Cabo Rojo area? Is the water temperature colder in the Northern and NW beaches? The northern areas are closer to the San Juan airport but if the water is noticeably colder, they might not work for us.

-If we buy property in Cabo Rojo but sometimes have to fly into San Juan, what is an inexpensive transportation option to get to Cabo Rojo? Obviously, we can rent a one-way car for about $60-$100.

There are plenty of condos from about 90-120K, Repo units may run you around 60-80k.
A Condo above ground level is less likely to be broken into, and overall are safer that a house regardless of gated or not. But most Condos are gated anyway.
As to car, make sure there is nothing in the car to attract attention, open the hood and remove the battery or an ignition cable and nobody will take it because it wont start.

I do not travel to the west of the island so I will let others from the west help you with that.
I PM you Carlos info in case you do not have it.

Hi everyone and welcome Victoria  :)

Just to inform you that this new thread has been created on the Puerto Rico forum from your posts.

All the best,
Bhavna