Is it feasible to bring our dog with us?

We will be moving to Beijing in February 2018 and have chosen the Shunyi area. My husband will be working and I will be at home with my 14 month old daughter. We have a 4 year old cross golden retriever/collie and I am wondering what life there would be like for him as everything I'm reading suggests not bringing your dog with you.
I worry that with my husband working and me not having family support he won't get the time he deserves and I am concerned about how restricted Beijing seems to be about walking dogs. He is a lively energetic boy who needs a lot of exercise.
Here he attend daycare 2-3 times a week and loves it. Is there anything like that out there?
Thanks in advance.

I'm curious too. My husband will be leaving for Beijing soon and I will join him in January 2018. We have a pit bull and a great Pyrenees mix. So 2 furbabies we would like to bring over with us But will only do so when we find out how it is over there

Hi
I've not managed to get any real answers from this post but I will be going over to Beijing with my husband next month and plan on spending time looking at houses and dog friendly areas. We need to know he would be okay when we travel so I need to find a good boarding facility too.
What area do you plan on staying in? We will be arriving within a month of each other so I'm happy to try and find out information for you while I'm over there.

We spoke to a man yesterday. He makes quality cooked dog food in Beijing.

He gave us the name of a pet transport person.

We contacted her and she suggested we fly our dogs a different route to avoid 30 day quarantine.

Where are you flying from?

We are coming from Canada

I'm having a hard time with this move lol

We are coming from Scotland. That's good to know about the food, was worrying about trying to ship his over!
From what I'm reading it should only be a 7 day quarantine? How are you managing to speak to people? I have emailed ICVS for advice and I'm still waiting on a reply. That's why I'm going to do my own research while I'm over there.
Looks like we could help each other out with information though!
Do you know where you will be staying?

I sent you a private message yesterday in case you haven't seen it :)

We moved to Shanghai last year with our dog, so I can't speak for Beijing. We have a Labrador, so a larger breed of dog.
I would find a pet moving company to help you, thats what we did and it save us a lot of hassle and stress. Our dog flew through Hong Kong then into mainland and he avoided any quarantine that way.
Having a larger dog limits where you can live, it's still quite a recent thing here in China.
We learned quickly that not everyone is fond of larger dogs, and they're not welcome in many places. Although in Shanghai we have many parks, most do not allow dogs. We chose a place to live based on the fact that around our apartment there's green space and a river walk where dogs can go.
Our dog moved from a house with a yard to an apartment, and it was quite difficult for him. I take him out 3-4 times  day so he isn't restless, but I think he's still unhappy.
I love having my dog here, but I wonder all the time if it was the best decision because the life for him is so different. In the big cities you can find international vets and they provide transportation if you need it so I do think you can get quality care.
I'm not sure if that helps, but that's been my experience.

Sorry for my late reply - but it might be still helpful. I can recommend "Globy - Pet Relocation" (globypetrelo.com). They work with embassies, international corporations etc. and know the exact procedures.

Hello, friend. Glad to know that you will relocate to Beijing with your family and your dog. I am happy to tell you that as you want to live in Shunyi, suburb of Beijing, it is no problem that you take your beloved dog with you. In city center, big dogs are not allowed, but in suburb, you can rent a big house(villa) with nice yard and garden to offer ample space for your dog.

Have a nice day and wish you an enjoyable stay in Beijing in the near future.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct