English teaching

I would like to teach English as a foreign language.

I do not have a degree, however my qualification is as a registered nurse.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thankyou.

Try UNESCO or SEAMEO.
I once met a teacher who was teaching English to people in the Medical field.
I don't know if you need an extra teaching certification (TEFL for example) for this kind of specialized teaching. Your degree might qualify as that.

I was once offered to teach a private class at a hospital in Vung Tau. I think you might be able to network with doctors somewhere. Maybe you can make some connections at a place like Master's Cup.

aussiefastbowler wrote:

I do not have a degree, however my qualification is as a registered nurse

Perhaps the terms differ between countries.  In the US a registered nurse is by definition a Bachelor's degree holder.  An LPN (licensed practical nurse) is a two year degree.  If your nursing degree is a Baccalaureate degree, you can get a work permit with that plus a TEFL course.  If not perhaps you can qualify based on the 5 year experience rule although that might be a stretch for an English teaching work permit.

I had hoped to give you the best link I had for teaching medical English.  It was full course written by a nurse who was teaching doctors in the Czech Republic.  Now the link comes up in Czech and looks different.  If I can figure it out, I will post it later.   :/

You should check out AVSE . I heard good reviews about that place.  I'm about to do the Tesol course there on June.

Stay away from AVSE, there are much better courses than AVSE.

Maybe you can also talk to Alex Stevenson at www.ninjateacher.com, he also has a cool youtube channel covering all kinds of topics.

Any suggestions on courses that are better AVSE?

A friend of mine took the AVSE course and was happy with it.  He was (and is) a retired teacher from AU so his real need for any course was minimal.  He did say that they taught you a lot about games.  Some may scoff at this but he said that he found it useful.  Personally, I never was good with games but found other ways to engage.  Like me, he was one of the few who actually preferred public school work to teaching at the center.

Hi Aussiefastbowler,

You can teach English (exactly speak to) via Skype for 2hours/week (one hour/day)? If yes, pls contact me at xxx.
Thanks
DaisyPham

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My Name is Delvis i'm interested in that English teacher by Skype.
Please contact me at ***
Regards

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi
i am thinking of coming over to complete a TESOL with AVSE. why do you believe they are no good?
who do you recommend?

Taree wrote:

Hi
i am thinking of coming over to complete a TESOL with AVSE. why do you believe they are no good?
who do you recommend?

Do a search on Google for Tesol courses, there are numerous places now.

thanks Colin. I appreciate the feedback and advice.