Travel risk around Mazatlan Sinaloa Mexico

Hi, we are travelling to Mazatlan soon and would like a perspective around safety and travel from someone who is living in the area.  We will be staying north of the marina in a condominium called the Paraiso Costa Bonita. We were hoping to spend some time in the City and from reading the State department travel site it looked as if the state of Sinaloa was becoming more unsafe.  Is there any comment to how cautious we should be or what the nature of the violence has been.
We value the comments of those who currently live in the area or “snowbird” to the area.
We are researching possible retirement options to the area.
Anne from WA

Welcome on the forum vandea ;)

I hope that other forumers will bring their input soon.

Regards

I would stick to the state highways.  I would NOT drive at night and I would not stop.  I think most of the violence is drug related and targeted so if you are not involved in the drug trade and exercise common sense I think you will be fine!

I have had the same questions about Mazatlan, and have been looking online for information. I suspect that the hype in the media is overblown. For a gringo view from someone who has actually been there, read cookjmex.blogspot.com. The author makes the following observations:

"To the distress of the local tourist industry, several cruise lines recently cancelled stops at Mazatlán, citing violence from Mexico's drug war. We saw no direct evidence of violence while there, and apparently most of the incidents cited by the cruise lines occurred in small towns outside of the Mazatlán area. As always, we exercised normal caution and good sense during our visit, and had no problems."

I have been to Mazatlan regularly in the last 20 years or so.
I am from Vancouver Canada.
Mazatlan it self is much safer then Vancouver in many regards. If you don't could the pestering agents that are trying to sell you time shares at every corner. :)

Driving is extremely safe during day time. Try to cross the border at Nogales early in the morning and it should be a breaze.  Only the northern part is iffy, but as a rule tourist are off limits to the banditos, since the reprisals from the cartels are terrible. They don't want the publicity and whole families have been wiped out for such an act.

You will see many Military stop (they are in green) and also state police They are in black. a lot of then wear balaclavas but don't panic. they wear it to protect their own identities thus protecting their families, and also because it is a macho thing. If you are polite and considerate passing through a check point will be a breaze. if you have some ice cold coka-cola and give them some, you might make friends.

Mazatlan itself is absolutely safe. We walk a lot, some time the whole day. Never a problem. The golden zone is touristic, thus the regular problem, time share pusher, cab will try to up their fares. From the marina to the old part of Mazatlan should be 100 pesos including tip. I normaly tip about 20 pesos. Try to eat where the local eats, it will be cheaper. if you absolutelay want Americanise food, There are tons of places in the golden zone. Pick pockets are not an issue, but leave your camera of laptop unattended, and the results will be the same as in Vancouver. Except in Vancouver east side, it will disappear much much faster then in Mazatlan.

I hope that answer a few questions you might have, if you have more, just contact Me.

Be well have a good time.

J-M Fortin

By the way I will also retire in Mexico. The next 5 years will be 6 months a year (in Mazatlan) until my pension kicks in. Once my pension kicks in I will be moving my sailboat to Huatulco. Santa Cruz to be more exact. Huatulco is mainlay a national park, thus developement is some what restricted. But lots of condos can be bought there  (about $120,000 to about $200.000 Ocean front but the price will go up as Gringos find out about it. Small house can be had for about $40,000 inland) . It is much smaller then Mazatlan, but also much much friendlier, since they are just experiencing the arrogance of some of the tourists. The atmosphere is much more relax, better weather in the winter, and 100% of their living is based on tourist, except for a few coffee producers, and some tequila and mescal brewers. But don't look for a homedepot or a wall-mart there.
Population is about 15,000 there is some night life but mainly in hotels and the town center (La Cruciceta) Yes it is two seperate places about 5 kilometer apart, and you get there by cab for a measly 20 pesos (2 bucks) from Santa Cruz to La Cruciceta.
Look it up, I think Huatulco is paradise. 7 bays, lots of white sand beaches many of then deserted.

Good luck and be well.

J-M Fortin

It's always interesting to read posts about Mazatlan by people who live elswhere. There are many Canadian retirees living here although most return to Canada for 2 or more months, unlike the American colony where a much smaller percentage leave. Most Canadians tend to be house owners although the trend is switching to condos.
The weather here is much cooler in the winter, although we usually have days that average 24C, with cool nights,
A nice 3 or4 bedroom home with mucho banos will run about $250K Canadian
(Here:ampibolsa.com.mx/ampibolsa/ )
Our biggest complaint is the traffic, too many cars. The daily costs living here are only a little less than Ontario.
The beaches are endless and I will post some pictures.
Several events here make the city  a draw, such as Carnival, (netfirms.com/carnavalmazatlan.net//index-en.php)
Semana Santa, and "Moto" week as well as the big Triathalon.
If you have questions, just ask.

If this thread is still alive, I thought I would chime in that I have been blogging from Mazatlan for the last four years.  I have TONS of photos, videos, and information on my blog if you want to know more about life there, plus I have a page of Mazatlan links that will give you lots more information, too.  The link is below.

Countdown to Mexico