Cooking Gas vs Electricty

Hello!

I really hope you can help us. My boyfriend and I are currently looking for an apartment and have mostly come across gas hobs and electric ovens which suits us as we both prefer cooking for gas. We have also been told it is much much cheaper (€18 for a canister that lasts months). However, we have seen a property that we really really like which has an electric hob...
We are wondering what how much more and electric hob would add to our monthly electricity bills! I know it's almost impossible to predict but I know that electricity is more expensive in general and this apartment is quite pricey so we are keen to keep our costs down.
Can anyone advise??

Alice and Phil

Hey Alice

It would all depend on how much cooking you did? I myself in the summer, I tend to eat more salads than a full hearty cooked meal. Also there is just the 2 of us, no children.

I am trying to say unless you are cooking 5 course meals every day, I don't think it would really hit your pocket.

Can you at a later date change over to gas? That might be an option if you really like the property.

I've noticed you are from England, I have an old school friend living out there. I hear it really is quite nice.

Hi! Thanks for your message.
We cook a lot, but usually pasta and fish etc but definitely not 5 course meals! Yes I imagine in the summer we wouldn't cook huge hearty meals so that's something.
I don't know if we can change to gas, I guess it's worth asking!
The apartment also has a hot tub on the roof so I'm also concerned that might eat into our bills, though I don't think we would use it THAT often!

We are from London. Have lived in the uk for 20 years and before that I lived in Malta though I'm not Maltese. Feels good to be "home" though we've only been here for 2 weeks so far!
Love the uk but fancied a change. It's so so expensive living in London these days and you don't get much for your money!

Alice Holland wrote:

We are from London. Have lived in the uk for 20 years and before that I lived in Malta though I'm not Maltese. Feels good to be "home" though we've only been here for 2 weeks so far!
Love the uk but fancied a change. It's so so expensive living in London these days and you don't get much for your money!

I can't say I miss the UK or in fact can really say I loved the place on a whole. Not since I've moved away and experienced life in a completely different world [Austria]

I was born in Rugby but lived all over the UK, working in the hospitality industry, you are right the cost of living is just silly. I don't know how anyone can live and have a relaxed life.

The next 2 years will be fun for us regarding Brexit as no one knows what happening. Oh well, I doubt they will be evicting everyone.  :D

Simon

I moved from a house with gas cooking to electric, and bills don't seem very different. Be sure to get the resident electric tariff. I only use gas for heating in winter, having to be always dependant on the gas lorry, running out of gas cylinders in bad moments, I don´t think it pays for the small savings.

i use electric hob and my bills arent expensive ..

Although I was used to electric cooking, I've learned the advantages of a gas hob/oven.
I'm not cooking a lot, therefore changing the gas cylinder 2 times a year is not a big deal.
However, for heating I prefer electric gadgets and comparing 2 years heating with gas and 2 years with electricity does not make a big difference from the costs, but electric heaters (esp. air conditioners) are much easier to handle and make a better room climate.