I am nervous…someone convince me to move Tripoli

I currently have a job offer to move to Tripoli in March.  I have never lived outside the USA.  I have found several blogs talking about life in Libya, but not all convincing.   Being from the Western World, I have several expectation I would like to live up to.  Dinning out, movies, clubs, beaches, social outings, travel. 

I have been short listed for work in other countries, and was willing to travel to them more readily than Libya.  My employer has lived in Tripoli on and off for two years and likes it there, but he still says it is a hard place to adjust too.  He also travel to Dubai, UAE on regular occasions.

He suggest going to Malta, Rome, Paris for weekend get a ways.  All doable, but I want a life where I live.  If I am going to be there for two years, I want friends, places go, things to do everyday.

Please help me decide.

Movies - nope.
Clubs - nope.
Beaches - yes, but not idyllic
Social life - mostly based around events at other expats' houses. You could party every night if you wanted.
Sports - MTB, cycling, horse riding, surfing, kite surfing, fishing, diving.

It's a bit of a dump, but there are worse places you could goto.

Ditto what Mudman says and what I wrote you in the PM back.  Try to get what I said from the company and take advantage of travel.  btw, who is the company.  Okay.  I'm nosy.

How is the cycling there?  I am a road biker, or atleast I try to be.  A good stress reliever after work to climb on a bike and ride the streets and roads for an hour or so, or to Cycle Commute to work. (don't know if I could cycle commute).

I love to dive and would like to try kitesurfing. Never heard much about diving in the Mediterran Sea, but I'll try it.

As for the name of the Company.  Since I don't know the politics of the area, I would rather not mention right now.  But the work is Heavy Construction

Outdoor133,

Hi, we moved from Detroit (Grosse Pointe) to Libya in 2009.  Transferred (against our preference, but there you have it) to Calgary one year later.  We miss Tripoli.  As Sea Angel said (or Mudman?) it is a bit of a dump but you can have amazing adventures there.  the Expat community is very active socially.  We had a blast there (and tore our hair out -mostly due to the horrible drivers).  But the people there were always very nice, shopkeepers were super sweet to me and all considered themselves my Arabic teachers.  It's a bit of an adjustment for sure.

We've lived in Gaza, Israel, Jordan.  Travelled extensively in Egypt (which is a very short and cheap flight away.  As soon as things cool off in Egypt there are bound to be amazing deals there).  Malta (especially) and Italy are short flights.  Husband dove a wreck in Malta. In some respects, Libya was the hardest place we ever lived; but if you treat it like an adventure, it's better. Again, for me the worst part was dealing with the insane drivers.  It's the worst driving environment I've ever experienced.

Daughter (14 at the time) had the hardest time, mostly missing friends and reduced independence (couldn't just walk to the store, ride a bike to meet friends, hang out 'at the village' (in GP).  Men harrassed her anytime she ventured out on her own.  Then one day our landlord stopped by and in the visit mentioned that he had heard from the neighbors about a 'yellow-hair' girl walking to the store and that she might not be safe...of course they wouldn't do anything to hurt her, it would be strangers driving by on the road.  So her walks to the store stopped. 

But, we all miss our lives there in Tripoli.  Would love to be back but not gonna happen. 

PS with the exception of Ghiblis and a few weeks of hellish heat in the summer (August and September were the worst) the weather is generally superb.  Winters are delight. 

Did I mention desert adventures?  You gotta go to the desert while there, a natural wonder for sure.

outdoor133 - road cycling in urban areas on weekdays -> definately not, unless you have a death wish. On friday mornings, maybe.

but there is a small group of expats who cycle at Gharian (hilly area about 45 mins drive from town) on friday mornings.

outdoor133 wrote:

How is the cycling there?  I am a road biker,

It's only safe to cycle on Friday mornings, before prayers, the rest of the time is turbo/rollers. I have seen 1 or 2 people attempting to cycle in town, but it's suicidal. About 80km out of town is a playground of empty hills, many with smooth tarmac and a blast to go up/down....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/ed_mudman/16072010456-1.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/ed_mudman/Image0078.jpg

Do you wear the matching pink thong? ;)

http://humorpix.com/images/31f9981751730ee1b8855c40bd371d98/Gay_biker0-size-600x0.jpg

I lived in central Tripoli & rode on Friday mornings in the quiet . dispite having the worst drivers I have ever seen as a roadie I was in the main treated with respect & curiosity. Beware of wet road paint in the run up to national day though

I hope we did not scare him away.  :|

Mudman and Sandman,

Just when I think it's time for me to cut the line and leave the Libya forum,you guys reel back in!   ROTFLMAO funny. 

And Mudman, gorgeous pics.

Sandman6 wrote:

Do you wear the matching pink thong? ;)

No, but I've got a pink helmet.

<>

bungaraya wrote:

but there is a small group of expats who cycle at Gharian (hilly area about 45 mins drive from town) on friday mornings.

We do.
It is good. ;)

Thanks for all the responses…still undecided….I have a couple more weeks to make a decision.

I like the pictures with the pink bike.  The road way is very inviting and interesting.  The Pink Thong on the other hand was just disturbing.

What is the Hash Harriers Group I keep hearing about?

outdoor133 wrote:

What is the Hash Harriers Group I keep hearing about?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=44878

looks like my decision might have been made for me.  My friend just emailed me and he is still positive.

will you still move to TRIPOLI despite the harsh news on TV?
they are evacuating.... rightie?

I look fwds to being able to return once it is safe.

Mudman wrote:

like... after a few months?

My friend is positive and will probably return as soon as things cool down, but I am staying away for some time.

Mudman wrote:

ditto

I imagine there will be openings at the American schools come August.  I might apply to return. better than being a housewife in Calgary...

Are people leaving? I thought Regatta was empty.

Seriously, Thanks to all the guys that have supported us (You know who you are) We are staying on and evacuating the non Brit expats now, averaging 100 a day through the airport.

I'll be here for a while, you need me, call or PM me

Stay safe guy's, I'll let you know if we decide it's time to head for the hills.