New to forum

Hello. My name is Lewis and my wife is Laurie. We are going to be visiting belize in may for 2.weeks and depending on how things go, we hope to be moving to the county by next year. Try it out for a year and if all goes well, retire there. We have been doing a lot of reading and watching youtube videos but some things seem to contradict one another. For instance, hown much does it really rain in placencia.  How safe it it for women. What is the cost for rent for a 1 or 2 bedroom.

Welcome!

You will find loads of helpful info on here. I highly recommend searching the forum for more info than you could possibly read!

Excellent idea to hang out for a year to see if it's a good fit, btw.

You will find contradictory information all over the web and even in person to person conversations. Everybody has an opinion. Placencia is subtropical rainforest, so it rains a good bit, too much for some, just right for others. During the rainy, it rains nearly every day, but it very rarely rains all day. Sometimes we have these periods of all day rain for several days, but it's not very common. During the dry, we go several days without rain, sometimes weeks. Usually when it rains in the dry, it's for a short time, often at night.

As a woman and mother of two daughters, I feel very safe here. My son's ex girlfriend really hated the cat calls. For whatever reason, they don't bother me. I'm just not offended by it. I think it is poor manners, but it doesn't upset me. I never ever worry about violence toward me. Domestic violence is fairly common, but that doesn't really hit tourists or expats (unless someone is already dealing with it).

Rent costs can vary wildly, depending on what you want, where you are, and who you ask. On the ground info is best, but there is a Placencia long term rentals fb page.

You are going to make someone very happy by watching youtube.  :D Have fun and I hope it works out for you. I am planning to do the same.

Thank you for your reply,  it was very helpful.  I am going to do some more reading on here like you suggested and see if I can fine more information.  Thanks again.

You're very welcome! Feel free to ask questions you can't find answers to!

Lewislhines wrote:

We have been doing a lot of reading and watching youtube videos but some things seem to contradict one another. For instance, hown much does it really rain in placencia.  How safe it it for women. What is the cost for rent for a 1 or 2 bedroom.

While The placencia peninsula is not like the rainforests further inland and in the mountains, It does seems there is rain in the forecast a lot of the time. However If it does rain, it's usually either a quick sharp shower or it rains at night, except in the rainy season which in my experience is centered around September through mid November.  Outside of the rainy season I have not had to change plans due to rain. It is not unusual for quick showers to hit on one part of the 16 mile long peninsula and not other parts. Most of the time after a daytime shower the sun comes back out, and things dry quickly.

2015 was my first year to spend months rather than a few weeks at a time in Belize, In October of that year I was driving around the North/Central parts to see it any of it suited me better than Placencia Village did. Those parts had huge amounts of rain that year with lots of flooding. I almost got caught in flooding a few times, and did not get to the expat community just north of Corozal. I had a few days until I needed to return to Texas so I drove down to sunshine in Placencia, Located a house for sale I liked and closed the deal 2 months later.

As for personnel safety in Placencia Village, my girlfriend or I never felt unsafe at any hour walking about. I do suggest carrying a good pocket sized LED flashlight at night as lighting can be spotty in some parts.

Housing rental varies so I'm not much help, in 2015 I used VRBO, other trips were in smaller Hotels, or onboard a Catamaran.

Thank you for your reply.  It was very helpful.  This is my first time trying out one of these sites and am finding out that there are a lot of people willing to help out. My wife and I live here in Vancouver  Wa and are so very tired of the cold, wet, gray, gloomy days up here.  We are going to be in Belize for two weeks in May and have got plans to see and visit as many areas as we can to fine a place to live for a year to see if we are going to like it. Thanks again for your reply.

Hi Lewis ~ Welcome to the forum! Over all Belize is a Beautiful & Safe country with very friendly people. I am a Belize citizen and my family ancestry dates back in country for over four hundreds years. I know Belize extremely well. You will find that every town and village in Belize is truly charming and unique in their own way. Rents vary by location ~ long/short term stay and the size of accommodations you need for your family. We live in the seaside town of Corozal which is considered one of the best and least expensive places to live in the world by Travel magazine. I think Placencia was on that list as well. We are only two miles to the Chetumal Mexico border where there is lots of shopping movie theaters and great medical care. The weather in Corozal is very cool in comparison to other areas of Belize. It's very quiet, safe and laid back. We can also hop on the ferry and visit Ambergis Caye or Caye Caulker. We enjoy the best of both worlds here in Corozal. The best way to find out more about Belize is to come with your family and experience all the wonders that my beautiful country has to offer. If I can be of assistance in any way feel free to email me.  I wish you PEACE from Belize!!! 😎😎😎!!!

Thank you so very much for your reply. My wife and I and going to be visiting Belize  from May 6th though May 19th. It is just the wife and I. Our 4 children are grown and out of the house. We currently live in Vancouver Wa. and are tired of all the cold, gray, wet, gloomy weather here in the north west. We are looking for a place warm and sunny.  We do not know which part of Belize is going to give us this. We have done quite a bit of research but a lot of the information can be miss leading, deepening on who you talk to or what you read. We are going to be spending 3 days in Corozal while we are there. The first part of our trip, we are going to be meeting up with a really nice lady in San Ignacio.  She is a reality agent. Her name is MarcaRana Rose. Have you heard of her. We hope to get some questions answered about the area. Then head to Plecencia, Hopkins, Corozal, Caye Crocker, and then meet up with our son and daughter in law on San Pedro.
  My wife took an early retirement but I still want to work. I am the type of person that can not sit still for very long. We just want to have sun and not much rain. Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Lewislhines wrote:

My wife took an early retirement but I still want to work. I am the type of person that can not sit still for very long. We just want to have sun and not much rain. Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Be sure to check out the threads here that talk about Non Belizeans work restrictions.

Many expats choose to start a business using Belizean employees, but the owner will still need to jump through the hoops to get a work permit. Volunteer opportunities "Could" be plentiful, but even that is often not allowed unless possibly through a church.   

As for rain, rember central america is in the tropics... ;)  Several of us recently commented in another thread about rain in the Placencia area.

Have fun, it's a wonderful, friendly (except possibly Belize City itself) diverse county with a poorly developed infrastructure.  I love it, but it's not for everyone.

If renting a car (I did, and do occasionally) to explore. I suggest bringing with you a recent 6" or 7" inch screen Garmin GPS also buy/download the separate Belize map (less than USD$40) before you leave home, because the US/Mexico Maps that come with it only have a few roads incorrectly depicted for Belize. When I bought mine about 20 months ago, Garmin was the only brand that offered a decent GPS map for Belize. and even that map was done by a third party and on a separate not easy to find part of the Garmin site. I find a 12 volt socket expander with USB charging ports and a wired plug to be very useful. In a rental car you never know where the 12 volt plug(s) will be located so having this as an extension cord to be able to charge cell phone and cameras as well as power the GPS is very handy.

And to anyone new to driving in Belize, they seldom have traffic lights or Police enforced speed limits. Rather they use KILLER speed bumps everywhere, many are well marked, many used to be, and some never were. Almost every Village has at least 1 most 2 at or near the many Bus stops.

Be constantly vigilant, assign the non-driver to help you spot and announce them, because hitting one at highway speeds will ruin your whole day if not the trip. :o