FREEDOM?

How do people and laws in Puerto Rico compare to those here in Florida? Can I find rural property in Puerto Rico where I can live my own Life?
In February of 2011, due to a motorcycle accident I was hospitalized with a broken left hand and badly bruised ribs, making it hard to breath, so no longer having transportation I bought an acre of land outside city limits (thinking rural/freedom), but right away a neighbor filed a complaint with the county and I had to move all building materials inside, out of view. Not easy with one hand and  difficulty breathing. Also I am not allowed to hang clothes to dry where they can be seen. I know who it was because I keep everything, including the pick up I now have in the back out of sight, the motorcycles are in the house and there is only one neighbor who can see any thing and since they have a high privacy fence around their pool they have to go to the rear section of their back yard to see anything I have.
Does anyone know for fact if there are laws in rural Puerto Rico that prevent me from living a simple life of freedom? Also my neighbors fire guns and set off explosions. Being a Vietnam veteran I once jumped and  bruised my shoulder blade against a door frame. Are there a lot of people in Puerto Rico who fire guns and set off explosions?
My first choice would be Vietnam. I was there in April 2015 and did not want to leave but time there is limited and I would lose my social security. Puerto Rico being a U.S. Territory will allow me to continue receiving my monthly income. In 2 more years I will be 70. I have lived here going on 6 years and have regretted every day. I have a lot of trees which was why I bought this property but now I spend most of my time making sure everything is up to the neighbors and satisfaction. I'm tired.
The only things I'll miss are "Skye" and "Dude" the 2 cats which belong to the complaint neighbor. who come through a hole in the floor to visit and eat breakfast with me and the hand fed squirrels, "Sammie", "Sammy" and "Sammy too", maybe more, they all look alike, who also join me for breakfast.

Out in El Campo people won't complain too fast about stuff on neighbor's properties.

About guns and explosions, the gun laws still are very strict here so most likely you won't be bothered by that. Then again you might be bothered by loud music, people who run a kind of church at home and do this with big & loud amplifiers and by people who think it is very cool to make a lot of noise with 4-tracks, motorbikes and cars without a proper muffler any time, day or night.

There are other things you should consider, too. Medical care isn't up to the standards that you're used to and with our economic situation and many medical professionals leaving to the mainland the future doesn't look too bright either. At your age rather sooner than later you are going to need good medical care.

The good news is that you can rent a simple place for 4, 500 hunderd dollars or buy a simple house under $100K

How's your Spanish? That's the main language here and especially out in the boonies you won't find a lot of people who speak English.

In the end it will depend if you can find an area where you will fit in. That depends both on you and the future neighbors...

Good answer, Gary.

Welcome!

Gary,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate what you have shared. I have been alone for over 30 years now and have human contact only about 4 times a month when I go for supplies. My Ex is Spanish and she is helping me with that, and agrees that I can call her should I need help. Also there are phone apps that seem to be helpful.
  As far as medical I am 100% covered by V.A. I believe there is a V.A. there or I could possibly be flown back to the mainland if need be. Also I do not take "medications",  or have had to deal with viruses or bacterial infections  for more than 10 minutes to a couple of hours depending on it's severity. My last 3 checkups doctors said that I was in great physical shape with no problems.
I hope to be visiting Puerto Rico this month and find a bit of secluded land. A place with a shed or small building as a beginning will work for me.

There's a VA hospital in San Juan and they offer good care. My father in law was a veteran and he has been treated very good in that facility.
You'll be fine with VA coverage.

Visiting the island and looking around sounds like a plan, good luck!

Thank you for the info on the VA in San Juan. Are you aware of any land in the rural highland/mountain areas? And would living in a vehicle or tent be allowed for a short time?

aguila en vuelo wrote:

Thank you for the info on the VA in San Juan. Are you aware of any land in the rural highland/mountain areas? And would living in a vehicle or tent be allowed for a short time?

The best way to find a place in the country side is to drive around and look for houses, and lots for sale or rent, you can also use the clasificados site. But first you need to decide where you want to live.

You have also the option to put up or rent a trailer in a property you own, as to live in your car ..... it is your property, as long as it is not a huge eye sore I do not think people will care. Not sure what you want to do about water and electricity in a lot with zero infractructure. Not too many places to take a shower in other than maybe a river close by.

ReyP

Thank you for this info.
A small trailer with a couple of extra batteries, an inverter and a small pick up sounds like a really good idea. Thank you for that.
I have a compost toilet I made which I like. Do you know where I can look to see if a compost toilet  would be allowed there?

No sorry, I am not in the island so my sources are somewhat limited. If you are handy and get a few helpers you can construct a wooden house in the property and maybe upgrade to concrete as the time goes by.

The key is if the general area has water and electricity close by, if there is then you can have potable water and electricity into your property.

Not sure if outhouses are still allowed but I assume they are still in existence in some places.

All of this presumes a country setting of course

Thanks again Rey,

You have always been very helpful. Glad your here.