To take or not to take - DVDs to KSA? A dillemma

Dear Friends,

In order to make the border crossing less painful we are contemplating not taking any DVDs with us. I have a niche taste and most of them are older American and UK TV series like Startrek, Bewitched (will the customs objects to the name?), Jeeves and Wooster, etc.

Most of them can be now watched for free on the internet, but I am not sure if the sites in question are accessible in KSA. Just a couple of examples:

http://watchseries.cr/series/star-trek- … episode/13http://www.cokeandpopcorn.ch/tv-part.php

Are you able to let me know if you can open these in KSA? If you can - I can leave the DVDs behind with a light heart.

Also, what about paid subscription services like Netflix - can they be accessed?

Many thanks for your help,

K )

Advice would be not to do it , if you want a smooth cross over.  If there are objectionable items the customs will delay until they check it out.  You will get OSN and other access here and netflix can be accessed here as well. You are moving from Qatar to KSA, dont expect a lot to change. A lot is better, some worse all part of the expat experience curve.

Both websites are working fine here .
you can leave your DVD's behind :D

DVDs are big and not very reliable so I ditched all of mine ten years ago in favour of files on a hard drive. As tech has improved that hard drive is now a series of 64GB thumb drives with a serious collection of Star trek, Dr Who and a wild variety of films, but it all fits easily in a small pocket.

There is time involved in converting but it's worth it.

Thank you, guys - very helpful. I know I am a b it of a dinosaur with my DVDs... K )))

Have you lived in Qatar, HR Guru? It is very "democratic" compared to KSA - no shipment searches, no gender segregation, etc, etc. Qatar is really not much different from the UK apart from the availability of the two "sensitive items" in supermarkets. I expect KSA to be much more of an adjustment, but I am up for it. K )

2nd_opossum wrote:

Thank you, guys - very helpful. I know I am a b it of a dinosaur with my DVDs... K )))

I would have killed to protect my DVD collection but they're all on thumb drives with 2 back up copies on hard drives.
The space saving alone is worth the messing about but I can also take all my collection with me so I can watch a film anywhere I happen to be without the slightest worry about weight or if the thing will play.
Off on holiday but have to look after the baby whilst my wife and daughter are swimming - no worries, I just watch a film on my smartphone.

Dinosaurs can change. :)

2nd_opossum wrote:

Have you lived in Qatar, HR Guru? It is very "democratic" compared to KSA - no shipment searches, no gender segregation, etc, etc. Qatar is really not much different from the UK apart from the availability of the two "sensitive items" in supermarkets. I expect KSA to be much more of an adjustment, but I am up for it. K )

I have not lived there , but visits frequently. What I find similar is people - in terms of culture and outlook even though Qatari's are more western educated.  It looks more democratic - true. Govt offices, paperwork are all slow there, relatively faster now in KSA. You cant compare it with UK, compare apple to apple and it wont be much of an adjustment if your were not much a consumer of the sensitive items. You will in for a big surprise though in terms of cost.

You can bring your hard cover books. Don't bring your dvd.

You can watch Netflix in KSA. You can watch videos if you have Amazon Prime and Chromecast in Full HD.

You can access Netflix or Hulu and would be better if you have paid VPN so you can also download movies 🙂

Thank you, but I am only interested in watching old TV series for free on websites like the ones I mention above. K )

I get netflix with no problem here in KSA. :)