Commute Aix-Montpellier

Hi

Currently based in Malaysia, we are considering a move to the area, myself taking a job in Montpellier but as a family, we'll need to live in Aix because there is no decent international school in Montpellier. Looking at the International Bilingual School near Aix which gets good reports (but happy to hear thoughts on that).

Question is... how doable is this commute. I think the employer is prepared to be flexible in terms of working from home, arrival/departure times, but it is a long way. The best option seems to be the train from Vitrolles which can land me in Montpellier in around 1h.40m. I'm prepared to do this a few times a week if I can be sure that the service is going to be reliable. One thing that makes me nervous is the fact that there aren't many direct trains servicing the route. A cancellation could double the journey time. On the plus side I can get some work done on the train and it's a relatively stress free way to travel. I'm guessing that driving is out of the question, especially in the summer when from what I recall the traffic is pretty horrible.

Does anyone know of anyone else taking on this route on a semi-daily basis or does anyone have any thoughts to share?

Looking forward to some inspiration!

Thanks

To be honest, it's very complicated, because, first, you must go to Vitrolles to take train and you have to know that there are pretty often delays or strikes... And don't think your employer will be ok to give you a flexible job. Often, in France, you have hours to respect and if the employer wants you at the office, it's not to work at home (except in paris, because it's really the mess to go at work). Ask him if you can work at home some days but it's not sure at all... What is your job?

There are some internationals schools in Montpellier, yet...