Public schools and adopted children

I am considering adopting my fiancé's child (with permission of the biological father).

My main stumbling block at this point is that I've heard through friends that children of Vietnamese/foreigner are NOT allowed to attend public schools--and I cannot afford private school. Does anyone know about this or have experience with an adopted (or biological) child and public schools?

Please do not give me "friendly advice" on why I shouldn't adopt the child unless it relates to my above question. I simply need to find out about her ability to attend the neighborhood school.

I am also checking with the authorities trying to accumulate as much information as I can.

Thank you.

Well, Im not sure about this if children can go to public school, but private school can be cheaper than public school, as when children go public schools they have to participate teachers evening classes in order to get good grades and this of course pays extra. While public schools hardly do that. Ou and private international schools are totally in different price groups.... but anyway this comparison between public and private is funny as they usully compare tuition fees but always forget that in public schools evening teaching is extra..

Wald0 wrote:

Well, Im not sure about this if children can go to public school, but private school can be cheaper than public school, as when children go public schools they have to participate teachers evening classes in order to get good grades and this of course pays extra. While public schools hardly do that. Ou and private international schools are totally in different price groups.... but anyway this comparison between public and private is funny as they usully compare tuition fees but always forget that in public schools evening teaching is extra..

Do you have any numbers to back this up? Private schools are a LOT more than public schools, at least here in Da Lat. Daughter is already going to "night school"--our choice--and it's only 800,000/month for three nights a week.

What is "ou"?

I have a Vietnamese wife and our daughter attended public (state) kindergarten and primary school for five years without any problem. In fact, our daughter regularly topped both her class and her year.

I have some friends whose kids also attend local schools, maybe its a rule in Dalat that needs to be checked.

ralphnhatrang wrote:

I have a Vietnamese wife and our daughter attended public (state) kindergarten and primary school for five years without any problem. In fact, our daughter regularly topped both her class and her year.

colinoscapee wrote:

I have some friends whose kids also attend local schools, maybe its a rule in Dalat that needs to be checked.

Thanks to both of you. We'll be checking with the Principal and the government next week.

Good luck, dealing with the government officials is draining at the best of times.

-JohnD- wrote:
Wald0 wrote:

Do you have any numbers to back this up? Private schools are a LOT more than public schools, at least here in Da Lat. Daughter is already going to "night school"--our choice--and it's only 800,000/month for three nights a week.

What is "ou"?

We run in Hanoi private primary and kindergarten, so we know how much they are. And yes if you compare directly tuition fees then yes, we are more expensive. This is similar than locals want to bribe 100tr to go work public school.. 🙈And Ou was brainfart too hungry and sitting in traffic lights heater on 😁
So this night school is run by teachers at school? But I can see why private schools might be more expensive in Dalat as there can't have that much competition.