RV living in Belize

Hello People,

Does anyone live in a RV in Belize? If so do you live in a park? or your own land? How did you get the RV to Belize and how much did it cost crossing into Mexico?

Thanks for your time
D2B

delaware2belize wrote:

Hello People,

Does anyone live in a RV in Belize? If so do you live in a park? or your own land? How did you get the RV to Belize and how much did it cost crossing into Mexico?

Thanks for your time
D2B

I have not seen an RV park in my driving travels around Belize, does not mean there aren't any.
I have meet briefly one couple that has their RV up on blocks, on their own lot, near the North end of the Placencia sidewalk. It is hooked into the local water/power system about 200 feet from the beach. The RV has been there for several years.

Later:
I just used this line in Google search "are there rv parks in belize"
It does bring up links to some info you are looking for, but pay attention to the age of some of the info.

There was an RV park between San Ignatio and San Jose Sucotz out on the western highway, but I do not know if it is still in operation. Also have seen an RV parked up and seemingly hooked  its up to a power line  and has a rain catchment tank beside it. that one is on a lot behind Spanish look out but I'm not sure of the village, It looks pretty well established and looks as if it no longer would be movable under its own  power. I Have also seen a couple of  nice new modern looking RV's on the roads in Belize in the last few months but I think they have been just tourists in Belize for  a vacation.

The only RV park we found was the one previously mentioned between San Ignacio and Succotz. It is currently closed, but someone just bought it and might be preparing to reopen it. However, I don't believe they have waste water hookups.

We drove through Mexico with our old, 26-footer the end of last year with no problems.

https://www.trails.com/list_27584_rv-re … elize.html

CA2BZ,
Can you tell me how much it cost you to take your RV into Mexico and into Belize.
Also if you can just leave it on your propriety to pertinently live in

Our RV is older - 1985 - so that helped keep the costs down. Mexico entry was only about $60 US and we got a 10-year permit. Belize doesn't charge to visit with the RV, but the duties will kill you. Duty on the RV was around 70% of the value. We park the RV next to the house we're renting, but I suspect you could rent a piece of land to park it. You'd just have find someplace with electricity and you'd have to bucket out your waste water. Not fun.

Hello, CAtoBZ.  I was following your blog.  I'd love to hear more of your day to day experiences or explorations :)

I had a friend who had one on his land years ago in Gales Point. The thing I noticed was how incredibly hot it got in there. Those things aren't very airy, so it would probably take a fair bit of electricity to keep it cool if you were wanting to live in it. It gets pretty hot down here.

I was watching one of those Tiny House shows the other day and wondering if that might be something that could catch on in Belize.

If you mention that program to a Belizian they will tell you they just call them houses. If you have  visited belize you will see many 'Tiny' houses in the villages, occupied by families with children. The Menonite builders have houses as small as 100 to120 square feet, The LARGE ones are about 600 t0o 800. Not only has it cought on it has been widely practised for many years. The Mennonites Tiny houses are built at a fraction of the ones seen on TV.

Good info, Terrific. I guess I kind of knew that what we (Americans) think of the tiny house movement is just Belize living for most Belizeans. I'm also intrigued by the Mennonite option, but I've read a lot of mixed reviews when it comes to the quality and long term durability of construction. My guess would be that there are far less restrictions on where you can place a home like this than what a lot of places in the States have.

I have not heard much complaints about their building  within the areas I know in Belize, there are houses that have bee in situ for nearly 20 years. At the moment the waiting list for delivery of a house is around the year mark from the two main builders in Spanish Lookout I do not know the Northern areas around Corozal or the builders up there.
Because of the wait list  then being 6to 8 months 3 years ago we had a local builder for our First place very similar style of building  to the mennonites, That way we got a house for about (maybe a little less) the  same price, but moved into it in 3 months. It was very basic in its finish with no inner wall finishes(like plaster board ) but my son has done the finishings himself since then at his own pace. 
That house stood up to with no problems the direct hit Hurricane last summer, and the Solar power electricity enabled us to have full power all night. The house was/is 800 sq feet living space 3 bed sitting room dining area and bathroom and Kitchen with 200sqft deck, all on 9 foot concrete pillars.

terrific wrote:

I have not heard much complaints about their building  within the areas I know in Belize, there are houses that have bee in situ for nearly 20 years. At the moment the waiting list for delivery of a house is around the year mark from the two main builders in Spanish Lookout I do not know the Northern areas around Corozal or the builders up there.
Because of the wait list  then being 6to 8 months 3 years ago we had a local builder for our First place very similar style of building  to the mennonites, That way we got a house for about (maybe a little less) the  same price, but moved into it in 3 months. It was very basic in its finish with no inner wall finishes(like plaster board ) but my son has done the finishings himself since then at his own pace. 
That house stood up to with no problems the direct hit Hurricane last summer, and the Solar power electricity enabled us to have full power all night. The house was/is 800 sq feet living space 3 bed sitting room dining area and bathroom and Kitchen with 200sqft deck, all on 9 foot concrete pillars.

I may have to look into this a little deeper. We don't want/need anything large or fancy, just looking for basic, functional living. Thanks for sharing!

Ivana H wrote:

I may have to look into this a little deeper. We don't want/need anything large or fancy, just looking for basic, functional living. Thanks for sharing!

Lots of info on Mennonite homes in past threads on this forum including names and links to some of the builders.

Last year I bought one that was built in 2000 from a US couple that wanted to sell. I have started updating it. I really enjoy it, and it fits my needs at less cost than a full concrete house.

How is the value of an RV entering the country determined in Belize?

There is a list somewhere in the archives giving duty  prices. It is fairly capricious as to the value they give to charge  the up to 60 % of duty payable. It could well be the officer one day will take your word on  it's value whereas another day the officer will go on line to work out the value for it. if you were to bring one for permanent import you would need a good broker.

Where can I find the archives you were speaking about

where can I look up archive files on here...