Long Term Student Visa for Italy

I would like to know if someone can clarify for me the visa requirements for a student.  I want to come to Italy for 6 months but does that mean I have to be booked into a school for 6 months or can I have time to travel around while I am here for the 6 months.  I don't really want to stay longer. I am an Australian

Hi JDE09,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

This article might probably help : https://www.expat.com/en/guide/europe/i … italy.html

You can also contact the embassy in your country for more information. :)

Thanks,

Priscilla

Thank you Priscilla for that information but it still doesn't answer my concerns.  Not to worry I can go to the Consulate in Australia.  Grazie  mille

A student visa is usually only valid for the length of your school program.  Having said that, I do know people who have been granted, for some reason, a visa with additional days.  It will depend on what the consulate in Australia issues to you.  Since every Italian consulate around the world has a wide latitude as to applying laws/regulations regarding visas, it is always best to contact them to answer your questions.

Hello there!
I am in a same situation here.I will move to Turin for my master program studies which is one year long. I have applied for visa in my country but they issued me one year Visa with only 90 days stay permit. I have to stay longer in Italy but I will come and go. Do I have to apply for stay permit when I move to italy or this will be ok!??

Yes, you will have to apply for a permesso di soggiorno (permit to stay) as a student.  That must be done within 8 days of arrival and can take anywhere from 3-6 months to obtain.  You will be given a "receipt" from the post office when you submit your application and will use that as proof that your permesso di soggiorno is in the works, so do not lose it.  If there is a period between obtaining the actual permesso di soggiorno and the end of the 90 days, you will not be allowed to travel within the Schengen, even to make plane transfers.  You can fly in and out of Italy, just not connect within the Schengen.  Again, if you leave Italy, be sure to carry your post office receipt to show to Italian security when you travel.