Question re; De facto Partner Visa on a (subclass 820) or (457 visa)

My Fiance has an offer of a '457 visa (4 year) business visa' through company sponorship and I wanted to check how a 'de facto partner visa' works.

Am I correct in saying that I could go to Australia on a 'holiday visa' for say 3 months with my Fiance, while I am there and my Fiance who will be working, we apply for a De facto Partner Visa? Which will take over my holiday visa?? I have researched and fully understand the supporting documents that are requird to apply for a De facto Partner Visa, which are all no problem to provide.

I am a 32 year old direct marketing manager with 13+ years in the Irish professional market. I would then be intitled to seek work through the de facto partner visa.

Can you let me know if my reseach has been understood correctly?;)

Thank you for your help in advance.

Hi LilaGood,

When you say "holiday visa", are referring to the "working holiday visa"? If yes, you are no longer eligible to get a working holiday visa since you are 32 yrs old. The information on immi.gov.au states the working holiday visa is only up to 30 yrs old. The direct link is:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working … ptions.htm

You can probably find more information about the de facto partner visa from immi.gov.au website. This is the official website of Australian Immigration and explains all the different visa options and how to determine if you are eligible and how you can apply.

For US passport holders, I know we can stay up to 3 months in Australia without requiring a visa. However, we are not eligible to work. All we need to do is apply for an ETA that allows us multiple entry in Australia up tp a year. But never 3 months or more at a time. You might check if Ireland has a similar set up in visiting other countries such as Australia?

Thank you for taking the time to respond jb09. :)

I was referring to a holiday visa which entitles me to stay in Australia on a holiday and not work. From Ireland we can get for either 3 or 12 months holiday visa.

My understanding is that while I am in Australia on the holiday visa that I can apply for the 'partner De Facto visa' in Australia with my Fiance  who will already be in work in Australia on a '457 visa (4 year) business visa'???

I have checked the government websites many times and it is all very complicated to understand, unless of course you can get a company to sponsor you (which is another option I am looking into) or unless you are blessed with age and can get the 1 yr work holiday visa (which I am not according to Visa rules LOL :lol::(

I am not sure about the ETA you mention for USA Passport holders? I am a UK Passport holder living in Ireland where sadly things are very bad work-wise so those who can are looking for options abroad and Australia is somewhere that has always interested us.

Any other suggestions are very welcome!!!:D
Thank you!

Hello again.

I had view the visa 820 that you are referring to. I think if you visit the specific links below, it specifically states what you need to know. In regards to the visa 820, review the look -

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partner … r/820-801/

Under the 820 visa, your fiance' is not eligible to sponsor you because he is not an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, or an eligible New Zealand Citizen. So this visa would not be applicable for you to use.

But if you review the 457 visa information -

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

When your fiance's applies for the 457 for the employee portion, your information is probably included in the application. As stated on the web page from the above link, the 457 visa will "bring any eligible secondary applicants with them to Australia - secondary applicants can work and study".

I believe if your fiance' has been approved for the visa, you should already be approved for the same visa. You should not be required to apply for a holiday visa. I believe many expats are brought over to Australia on the 457 visa and bring over their wives/husbands & children on this visa because they would be covered as stated.

The company that is sponsoring your fiance' probably could be in assistance of how to include you into the 457 visa application. They must sponsor other employees besides your fiance' and may have experience answering this question?

Please read the information pertaining to the 457 again and I'm sure the information will finally sink in.  The important thing is that you need to make sure you need to be included in the 457 visa application that your fiance' applies for as the secondary applicant "de facto partner".

As for the ETA, it's called an electronic travel authority - http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ Certain approved country passport holders just need to apply for this. The ETA is valid for about a year upon approval. When the specific passport holder enters/exits Australia, the information will come up in the computer to state their eligibility to enter the country. It's probably one way for Australia to document who is coming to Australia without another visa requirement.

Hi Jb09

Well, thank you again so much for your reply and advice. I really appreciate your advice and links you have shared.:)

I will look into in more detail as you have suggested.

All the Best.
:cool:

Hi LilaGood, I'm in the same situation. I'm wondering if you figured out how to apply? I'm confused if I automatically get a visa through my partner or if I need to make a seperate application for a "partner visa". Did his employer have to agree to sponser you?
The information online isn't incredibly clear. Any help at all would be appreciated:)