Vegetable gardening

Hi everyone-

We're getting ready to move down to southern Belize and need as much information as possible about vegetable and fruit gardening. I've looked for books online, but am having no luck. Any ideas?

Hi Tilarsen, I live in the Dangriga area. I too wanted to find info on gardening in Belize before I came. I think anything you find on tropicals or what we grow as houseplants in the states will help you. On Amazon there is a book about growing in Austraila about 50.00 dollars. I think it might be worth checking out. Cannot remember  the name, I think I typed in growing in the tropics. Its amazing to see the small plants we had in our homes growing so large in our yards here! You will be doing a double take at some of them. Its all about the dirt as you know thats pretty universal. Here you can pretty much stick a piece of a plant in the ground and it will grow here. The real problem comes with the pest! Lizards love to munch and aphids can do alot of damage. The sun is intense so having larger plants to shade smaller ones really helps alot! I grow lettuce in total shade. Tryed tomatoes not so good at it yet. I live 100 yards from the ocean so I go over and rake up seagrass and seaweed and use it as my mulch.Alot of places use roundup to controll the weeds. I finally broke down and bought a bottle, it has its place here. I see you are a quilter too! do yourself a favor and bring lots of fabric in space bags. not alot of good cottons available here,and bring your gagets! lots of sewing needles. Hope this helps! Maybe we will meet sometime, look forward to it! Soon [email protected]

Hi Soon to be grandma :) I am a somewhat new grandma myself. My granddaughter is 2-1/2 and she is wonderful!

It was so nice to hear from you. I will look up the book. Thank you so much for the information. Everything is useful for sure. We've been going and staying for months and months at a time, but our house is almost finished, so this will be it....we're shipping over a container at the end of this month and I am bringing so much stuff. I know what's available there and how expensive things are. I am  bringing lots and  lots of material, implements, needles and a sewing machine. Can't wait. I'll have to keep in touch--we have a lot in common. I don't know if I told you before, but we'll be about 8 miles from Punta Gorda on  50 acres of rainforest. But you're somewhere I love too--the ocean. If you don't mind, I'd love to keep in touch. Write any time.

Go to FAO publications or possibly some from the Florida State Univ., Extension. Institute of Tropical Agriculture,Puerto Rico. There is a lot to tell you but time and space won't permit. Just let me say, my wife and I gardened and raised tropical fruit in the Caribbean and SA for years and you want to consider carefully what you are planning. Almost everything you might have learned in the US is wrong in the tropics. Meet your neighbors and find out that they advise. We will be moving to S. Belize in a couple of months. Stay in touch.

I too am moving to Belize and want to find out if I can grow a vegetable garden. I saw beautiful veggies in the market in central Belize we are moving to Corezol and saw no good gardens

jmdunn wrote:

I too am moving to Belize and want to find out if I can grow a vegetable garden. I saw beautiful veggies in the market in central Belize we are moving to Corezol and saw no good gardens

I believe most of the produce at fruit/veggie stands in Belize comes from the Mennonite farms, mostly in the Cayo district.

The link below may be  of help. I also intend trying to grow vegetables when the build of our house is finished.

http://westernbelizehappenings.blogspot … elize.htmlhttp://www.abelizehimeforus.wordpress.com

hi  i to  will be moving  to belize. later this year.  what i would recommend    is going to containers  you can go to a farm store (yes they have them in belize)    they come in some type of rubber  or steel   get as many as you need .. make a small drain hole  in  one side.......here in oklahoma i use a   water trough  stands about 3ft  high   2 ft wide and about 5 or 6 ft long    use it for tomatoes   it keeps  creepy crawlies  out of the plants   you may want to add a few earth worms to the soil      here in oklahoma i am  master gardener  but more important  i am an organic gardener     hope this helps

Great advice and organic all the way!

Closed