Local police want me to "extend the time of stay"

I have a 12 month DN business visa, which started in November 2016. If I understood right, it allows me to stay in country for a year without leaving.

My landlord took pictures of it and passport when i moved in in December 2016, and supposedly registered it with the local police as required.

She just informed me now (February 2017) that the police want me to come to the local station to "extend my time of stay", because it "expires at the end of February".

I think i understand what's going on, but not certain...

What is the current actual law regarding this?

Look at your visa stamp when you entered into the country.  From what it seemed you were allowed to stay in vn for 3 months and need to get out to renew the stamp.  I would be interested to find out.

Is it a DN visa or another, check the visa for clarification.
Does it look like this....http://www.e-vietnamvisa.com/vietnam-business-visa.html

I have the same type of visa, 12 month DN business visa.  It was originally supposed to be a 3 month DN visa, but I obtained it around the time when there was a requirement for US citizens to have one year visas, so that's what they gave me.  So that means that your visa might be either a 3 month or a 12 month DN business visa.  Easiest way to confirm is to flip to the visa in your passport to read the dates.  Just looked at mine and it clearly states in English that it is a DN visa, multiple entry beginning in late 2016 and ending in late 2017, with no "90 day" entry/exit requirement.

Thanks y'all. My visa details are as i stated in the OP, multi-entry, and don't mention anything about 90 days. It expires in November 2017.

Check the stamp...

Stamp expiration same as visa.

If it has no 90 day renewal on the visa your all good.The landlord and police have obviously got it wrong.

I have exactly same visa and yeh, my landlord was called to re-do my temp police cert.

obviously sth going round

hi there .

after reading this thread i checked the stamp on my passport
i got a business visa multi entry valid for one year , i passed the emigration on feb 14th , and surprisingly the permitted to remain date is 010317 !!!?? so i have to leave and re entry every 2 weeks ?   i m here for a long mission in the local branch of my company is there any way to get at least a month or 2 ?  is it randomly decided by the emigration officier ?

shanghalf wrote:

hi there .

after reading this thread i checked the stamp on my passport
i got a business visa multi entry valid for one year , i passed the emigration on feb 14th , and surprisingly the permitted to remain date is 010317 !!!?? so i have to leave and re entry every 2 weeks ?   i m here for a long mission in the local branch of my company is there any way to get at least a month or 2 ?  is it randomly decided by the emigration officier ?

There is this office on the second floor of the airport, where the passport army men can be summoned to straighten out this kind of ...

They don't hang out there. You'll see a number to call them. You might have to call them several times, like i did, and hear them giggle and talk gibberish and hang up on you before they finally show up.

If that don't work, i think you might have  to go to the Immigration Department at 254 Nguyen Trai in District 1

i ll take a flight to bangkok return a couple of day after that and check with my company and visa agency to get a longer stay .. i read that the extension of stay could be done with a bunch of paperwork but since it take at least 5 working days to get it done that will take a flight to bangkok , i love bangkok anyway ..

but seriously what the point to pay 700US to get a dn visa 1 year if they allow you to stay only 2 weeks ?? ..... 2 WEEKS !!! WTF !!

WTF..?   What The Fudge Indeed..!!!

Welcome to Vietnam: enjoy the experience!    :huh:

:sosad:

Don't be a Wuss: WTF.   ..Work The Field...    :top:

right !

i ll work this out .. seems like normal thing , having the same in China , register to the police station within 2 weeks to get the T.R.F  ( Temporary Residence Form ) , had this also in India , called F.R.O ( Foreign Register Office )

B.T.W ( Between Two Wars )  forgot to I.M  (introduce Myself )  :

im French citizen , living abroad for the past 11 years ( 5 in China , 2 in India , then returned to China for another batch of 3 years , and recently moving to Vietnam to get a new Achievement
I m work in the Video games Field ( the one i Working out for 20 years :)   

what else : Single , love Traveling , Biker : used to ride a lot in India , not really in china beside E-bikes in shanghai nothing is allowed except FBI & CIA  ( Foreign Bikers Idiots  ,  Caught In Accident ) 
guitar player , former Drummer ( gave up since it s hard to get a proper drumset following along all those move )

so I.H.W.C.M.S.T.H.A.D.A   (I Hope We ll Meet Sometime To Have A Drink Around  )

have good day :)

shanghalf wrote:

i ll take a flight to bangkok return a couple of day after that and check with my company and visa agency to get a longer stay .. i read that the extension of stay could be done with a bunch of paperwork but since it take at least 5 working days to get it done that will take a flight to bangkok , i love bangkok anyway ..

but seriously what the point to pay 700US to get a dn visa 1 year if they allow you to stay only 2 weeks ?? ..... 2 WEEKS !!! WTF !!

700usd for a DN visa, someone made a quick buck.

yeh think it was just about 3.5 mill for me if i remember rightly, including 50$ bribe

a guess , that the fees when you ask agency from china ( the visa at shanghai consulate is about 1600 rmb ( around 200 usbucks  )to get it processed in 20 mn , i paid that to not give up my precioouuuus for a week , then my company branch office took over the visa don't have the figures

it seems like the officer at the gate didn't check the Visa ( stuck in a middle page :( )
and gave a on entry 15 d stamp ( surprising i thought a visa is required in all cases )
it might be fixed today hopefully :-)))

tip of the day : give the passport open at the visa page next time ..

downside .. no short trip to my beloved Thailand <3 next week :))))

Na, na, ne, nah, na!  ( ..I'll be in Thailand next week!!! )

FTFT.   ..Follow The Fudgy Thread...   :unsure

..and all that without a WIFE.  Without Including French Expats... 

..you may apply here for release agents re middle pages...   :happy:

..Oh, and the FBI & CIA are still searching for moi...   :blink:

It's quite possible that your landlord did not register your residence when you moved in -- I don't believe she can do this with just a photograph of your passport. She would generally need to provide the original or notarised copy of the passport. Unless she showed you proof of the registration, she probably pretended to register.

Now, as of 15 February 2017, a new circular from the Ministry of Public had come into effect. This circular makes it very clear about the registration requirements, including need for online registration.  I guess the landlord has realised this, and is now working with the police towards completing it.

In other words, she is now doing the registration that she earlier didn't do.

fixed for me ..
bunch of paper , and the emigration office typex and restamped with the date of the visa expiration ... one year ..

i heard lot of things about visa and every single source got a different version ( about business visa ) the official update is ,a business visa  is valid 90 days then you need a working permit and there s a list of cases exempted : working for a local branch of foreign company , technology area  fit my case... , ther's other ,   i wont give up my chinese working permit and Z visa ..btw

thanks to this topic and this forum , i would have not look at the stamp without reading this :)  ..

Hi,

I think that there is may be a misunderstanding. I have also DN 1 year business visa and I am also renting a home in Vietnam. The fact that you have to go to local police every three months is that you are renting a home in Vietnam. In this case you should have a "home book" with the name of the owner, your name with the home address and all the details of you passport and visa. This book is to show that Mr X is renting to Mr Y at this address. Local police wants to know where you are when you are living in Vietnam. This is why they want you to go to local police station with this "home book" and stamp it every three months. No needs to go out Vietnam every three months.

I have a 12 month business visa and have just been out of the country and returned on same visa; so yes you are free to come and go - multiple times, unless, of course, you paid only for a single entry business visa. Secondly you are allowed to extend the time on this visa, as well.