Confused: self-employed staying with a friend.

Hello,

I arrived in Malta a couple of weeks ago from the UK to stay with a friend who's been working out here for the last year. I am a freelance digital artist and will be doing that to support myself while I am here. I've tried to do as much research as I can but there are a few things I am unsure about:

If I am going to be here for longer than 90 days I have to register as a resident right? I've read that as part of that you need to provide your lease but I am just staying with a friend and wont be on the lease. If i can't register without being on a lease then what? Surely they want my tax money?

How do RHA entitlement cards work exactly? If I obtain one can I opt out of national insurance payments?

Thanks in advance.

First time resident applications don't need to show a lease

If you are going to work freelance I would think you will have to register as self employed, in which case you would have to contribute to the NI system here and would be covered for health care.
If you don't, your past contributions in the UK will allow you to get cover through the RHA by simply going to the Entitlement Unit at St.Luke's and showing your passport and the completed the application form which you can download.
The RHA does not give comprehensive cover but is sufficient for day to day needs and your Residence application.
You are not technically covered if you visit the UK as the NHS is residence based, nor are you entitled to the NHIC.

Ray

volcane wrote:

First time resident applications don't need to show a lease

Oh really? Well that should make things fairly simple then.

F0xgl0ve wrote:

If you are going to work freelance I would think you will have to register as self employed, in which case you would have to contribute to the NI system here and would be covered for health care.
If you don't, your past contributions in the UK will allow you to get cover through the RHA by simply going to the Entitlement Unit at St.Luke's and showing your passport and the completed the application form which you can download.
The RHA does not give comprehensive cover but is sufficient for day to day needs and your Residence application.
You are not technically covered if you visit the UK as the NHS is residence based, nor are you entitled to the NHIC.

Ray

Ah, so RHA is usually used in combination with a self sufficiency application?

Edit: When you say not entitled to the NHIC back in the UK do you mean EHIC? Can I not just get a Maltese EHIC?

Sorry, yes I meant EHIC .

Ray

As I understood it, once registered with the Maltese authorities one can apply for a UK issued card for use in UK or other EU countries. I have the application form on my PC. Can't be done online though.

other Ray

RayAucote wrote:

As I understood it, once registered with the Maltese authorities one can apply for a UK issued card for use in UK or other EU countries. I have the application form on my PC. Can't be done online though.

other Ray

If you are paying contributions into the Maltese system then you can get an EHIC issued by Malta.

You can only get a UK issued EHIC, whilst being a resident of Malta, if you are registered through the S1 scheme, which is only available to those UK citizens in receipt of a UK state pension.

Ray

Thanks for the clarifications guys, much appreciated.