Applying for a job within my company in FL, What about my girlfriend ?

Hi there,

I am Belgian, 32 and working for a American company and recently started to consider moving to the US. The company I work for has many offices in the country, and I am starting the application process for a position in Santa Clara (CA) and Orlando (Fl).

I met my girlfriend 9 years ago, we are living together, have no children and... we are not married... She 31, Belgian too, also working for an American company, but keen to move and find a new job as we move.

I presume that being offered a job within my current company to work in the US will probably be sufficient for me to be allowed to stay and work there (is it ? how long). I am not sure however how much it is possible, impossible, difficult, for her to come with me should and... apply from there as we move in.

Would anyone know how, in that case, we could be living there, me having a job and her, finding one as we already moved.

Well any other info, useful links, that could help me is welcome ! Thanks in advance for these precious info :-)

Cheers,
David

Welcome on board David,

I hope that other forumers will contribute to your various relevant queries soon.

Regards

Hi,

I'm afraid that I don't know the information about immigration that you are asking for. I'm guessing you might want to start with talking to a representative at your nearest U.S. embassy (http://belgium.usembassy.gov/) in Brussels.

I can, however, answer any mundane questions you have about daily life here in the U.S. (weather, living arrangements, pets, food, shopping, entertainment) I'm not in Florida, but I can tell you about the U.S. in a general manner.  Please, feel free to ask away about any curiosities you have and I'll be happy to help with that sort of stuff if you like  :)

--Edgewynne

Hi Edgewynne, Yud,

well I am not 100% focused on Florida, that particular position is in Orlando, but there is something else going on in Santa Clara as well, and there are many many offices all over the country.

I will definitely need to call the US Embassy and ask for an appointment. I just thought that "situation" of getting a new job in the US, and having a girlfriend, would be a common problem :-)

I am just a little bit afraid she'll have to resign here in Belgium then apply from here (Does that really work, getting a job without a face to face interview ?!), or play with tourist visa's until she finds a company that accepts to do all the paper stuff with her...

Well if anyone with such experience reads this topic... please reveal your secrets :-)

I will probably have hundreds of questions as it really is the start of a project, I'll try to choose which ones to start with and post...

thanks a lot for your help !
Cheers,
David