Bt internet coverage

By moving to Malta permanently, and cancelling my bt contract here in uk for internet access, deprive me of logging into wifi hotspots in Malta using my iPad?. I was told by bt I can no longer get free access in 9 million free hotspots around Europe. Is this true?, I will need free wifi access until I move to an apartment and sign up to a local provider. Hopefully within 2  weeks. I would have thought your coverage is provided locally and not by bt. Anyone who has had any issues with this please?. My contract via direct debit with bt ends on 2nd march. Many thanks

Not sure if that is what you / bt meant, but: in Malta, most public wifi hotspots are provided by Melita. Check here: https://www.melita.com/mobile_category/melitawifi/   That means you need to be a Melita customer to get access, or a customer of a Melita partner (I guess bt might be a partner? Not sure, though...)

You can find free / open wifi in the usual places: McDonald's, bars and restaurants, hotels... Depending on where you're staying until you have your own apartment, short term accommodation often comes with free wifi, too.

Once you've got an apartment, setting up a connection is usually fast and painless: I went to a Melita outlet on a Friday afternoon (all I needed was my passport and the rental contract) and had the internet set up by their technician on Sunday morning.

Thanks Bernie,  sorry didn't make that clear. BT is British telecom, one of several telephone and Internet providers here in the uk. I rang today to cancel my monthly direct debits to them from my bank, for landline and internet package, about 25pounds each month. I told them I wish to terminate the contract on 2nd march, as I was moving to Malta and would no longer be at my address. No problem they said, they would email me and also write to me to confirm this. When I received the email shortly afterwards, along with other conditions, they said I could no longer receive  free internet access in around 9 million wifi hotspots in Europe. I then rang their help desk to clarify this but they could not give me a definite answer. I would have thought that once out of your home country you automatically connect to the local provider. Or do these company's have some sort of agreement with each other to provide free wifi across Europe? I could be worrying about nothing, but I would like to know for certain, as I don't want to be without a connection  before I move into my new home

Thanks for that link Bernie, it seems I can get a temporary contract with melita until I get my address sorted

alftupper wrote:

Thanks for that link Bernie, it seems I can get a temporary contract with melita until I get my address sorted

You could also try Go another supplier.

altupper: yes BT has agreements that they pay for to give you this benefit, if you dont belong to BT you dont get the benefit, it's not free its built into your monthly subs payment.

Other companies - who you have to specifically join and pay - also have various 'free' options.

I was with BT when we moved over here 4 years ago and once I had an internet connection I was able to carry on using my BT email address here, but after about 3 years BT changed their T & C's and now charge me £5.00 a month for the privilege of keeping that email address which I access through my GO internet connection.

I have 5 other email addresses including my GO address plus gmail, hotmail  etc. but it was more convenient to keep my BT one which is registered with all my banks, service providers, Amazon, eBay etc. but to be honest I don't rate them and when I am feeling less lazy I will change them all to my GO address!
GO landline and internet connection starts at about €20 a month for 20mbps and 35mbps for an extra €10. Fibre optic is also now available in Gharb at additional cost.

Ray

Alftupper,

BT customers get access to over 9 million worldwide wifi hotspots as part of their contract, which means that if you came to Malta on holiday you would have free access to these however cancelling removes access to the facility.

Melita, have the same with over 50 million hotspots worldwide which would give you access to the hotspots in the UK if you go back to visit while still being a Melita customer.

Hope this helps

Jamie

Thanks all for the replies it's a lot clearer now

Just a little update , I rang BT earlier , and yes they provide a facility that enables you to receive wifi connection in hotspots , until set up with a local provider. It's 5 quid a month and can be discontinued at any time, so seems useful for a short period of time. Thanks to all

I took a subscription to Melita for 6 months but to be honest it's not much use now as their  coverage is poor. Worked OK in our hotel as they had paid to get the hotspot but elsewhere I never found any and their coverage is only high residential areas. I found my mobile provider (Giffgaff) , via GO in Malta, gave me pretty much blanket 3G coverage of both islands and by only enabling data when necessary I had £15 left of £25 after 2 months use. I think in Qala, there is one Melita hotspot and it's 1/2 mile from my apartment.