Are camera stores in HCMC reliable?

Hello,

I am looking to buy photography equipment. I've contacted a few stores in HCMC asking for a specific Canon Lens (70-200 f2.8 Mark II IS), and they all quoted a suspiciously low price.  I was not expecting to get lower prices here in HCMC than in Singapore.

The same lens costs between 150 and 300 euros more in Singapore (about 15% more without GST!).

The prices are so low, that it makes me wonder if there is something fishy going on.   Are the photography stores in HCMC reliable?  I am going to Singapore in 3 weeks and I am seriously considering paying more but to be sure that the lens is new, good quality and not a refurbished one.

Thanks,

PS. If you know of a good, reliable store in HCMC let me know!

What is your concern?  that the lens are fake or that they are refurbished?  I used to own a 70-200 IS II -- not sure if it's practical to fake those lens to the point where you can fool someone who has the money to buy them.  You can quickly check the IS, glass, weight, feel, buttons -- should be a dead giveaway if they're fake.  Whether it's refurbished is another story. 

You can also check serial numbers with Canon (i think) to confirm that it matches the lens.

There are a bunch of shops that only sell high-end camera equipment on Huynh Thuc Khang street (near cho Ben Thanh, on the way to Nguyen Hue street) if you want to visit them in person.

I am concerned that the item might be fake, refurbished, etc.  Maybe I am paranoid, but in general Electronics in Vietnam are expensive.  I find surprising that the quoted price in HCMC is about 15% cheaper than in Singapore.

I will check the stores you mentioned. Thanks

espinozr wrote:

I am concerned that the item might be fake, refurbished, etc.  Maybe I am paranoid, but in general Electronics in Vietnam are expensive.  I find surprising that the quoted price in HCMC is about 15% cheaper than in Singapore.

I will check the stores you mentioned. Thanks

I know someone who supplied a lot camera shops around D1(there used to be a lot more of them) with fake camera bags and memory cards. The people who made the fake ones out of inferior materials were actual subcontractors and used to make the official ones. The real stuff is exported. Yeah it's much easier than to fake a camera lens but if there's a decent enough profit to be made someone would do it. Chances are like you said, it's a refurbed one or second hand. With some products manufactured in Vietnam, like trainers for example...disregarded factory defects can be found for sale.

You can also visit an authorized Canon dealer in Q1.  Shop's name is Le Bao Minh, 99 Trần Hưng Đạo (near Pham Ngu Lao and Bui Vien).  Currently selling the 70-200 for about US$2,300.

If you don't want phony stuff, fake stuff, pirated stuff go online and check withe the manufacture for authorized dealers in your area. Also wise to run the serial number of the item through their database before you buy. Will insure you get genuine items that will be back by the mfr. Best here to assume everything is not legit.