I want to move permanently to Madagascar

Hello guys. New member on this forum. I want to move permanently to Madagascar. Been out and about working but I want my my kids to settle down with my wife( married to a Malagasy national for 9 years and still going strong).any advice or tips since I haven't been there in a couple of years.

Hi Ewing Sarufu and welcome on board  :)

So that you may get some advice easily, i have created a new thread from your post on the Madagascar forum.

All the best,
Bhavna

Welcome

Being Married to a Malagasy citizen will give you some advantages to the customs and culture and how to get things done the Malagasy way as there are certain social formalities  before the work begins.

There have been some  changes in acquiring residents status,  one is that you will be applying for a Bio-metric  Card.
Go here for more details for various visas. http://www.mid.gov.mg/mid-home/
and http://www.mid.gov.mg/mid-visa/
Once you have done all your paper work , including opening a bank account and documents from your country such as criminal records and Birth certificates, marriage license registered by the government ...., unless you were married in Madagascar which you will still need. 
At some point you will need to have a picture taken and signature registered, for the Bio-card, at the office of the minister of Interior and at this point can only be done in Antananarivo.
From reading your above question, not sure if your children are Malagasy Citizens or can have some form of dual citizen status-  you can find that at the web site or at the Minister of Interiors offices.   

Where your children will go to school will need some consideration and registration dates - Public or private -Malagasy or French or American school,- Religious or Secular? 

Not much as changed in the last couple of years, prices are about 15%higher.

Also for driving, there as been changes to the license and it is for all Malagasy and residents and that is
a bio-metric drivers license.  You can still use a international drivers license ( good for one year) along with your drivers license.   

Tonga Soa

Someone mentioned that part of his/her monthly budget was $60.00 for a night guardian watcher...I am a bit concerned. Is Madagascar so dangerous that one has to higher a night guard, possibly armed, I supposed...Can someone shed some light on this one? I am a new member. Thanks.

Madagascar is not dangerous.  It is that the locals make $50 a month and you will have much more money per month to live on, so you would be considered wealthy and a target.  Same in the USA, the wealthy have security, nigh watchmen, doormen at the gate to the property,  or rental buildings, or you need a key to unlock a door, cameras, ...etc.

The only way you will understand your situation is to come here and see how the people react to your presence.   I was born and raised in NYC myself and the crime in NYC is far more sophisticated and Dangerous, than Madagascar.  The Mafia in NYC would make pets of the criminals in Madagascar. 

There are plenty of foreigners or Peace Corp workers who do not have security, their life is simple and they own so little that there is not much to steal.  When I first landed in Madagascar all I owned was what I carried in a backpack, I too did not have a guardian for my first year when I rented.  But when I bought a car then I had something to steal, batteries or tires for example.... 

A person here can have a full filling meal on 40 cents, so if you have a pot outside that cost you $3   then you risk its disappearance.   

Dangerous---no-------, plenty of opportunists to take something or scam you---yes

I never had a night guard during the 11 years I lived in Madagascar, although I had a company for solar systems and solar cookers and video production - so everybody knew we had PV systems and other products on stock and also a video camera and computers.

The absolutely most important is the choice of your house: grid on the windows and very securely lockable doors are a must, dogs are great to alert you - but don't leave them outside in the court where bad people might poison them.

When I first saw the house where I lived all these 11 years, I knew it was absolutely safe (even according to Feng Shui): a very secure villa with 3m wall to my court, a night guard and 2 very evil dogs to the left, and on the right side my landlord's house very closely built so that no other court was between, and behind the wall of a high sports hall of a bank, also with security guards. My house was only accessible from the front door of the yard.

A good neighborhood is essential - care for your neighbors, and they will care for you.

Be sure NOT to choose a house in the main street or on any main axis. Every 5-6 years, Madagascar has some unconstitutional government change including riots, and the houses and businesses in the main streets - especially of the Karanas - are the first targets.

Don't rent a house without a high fence, which is standing free in the landscape and accessible from all sides.

My house was in a little one-way street on Androva hill, 5min from the Bord de la mer and 1min from Mahajanga be, a bit hidden by bushes and flowers and difficult to see from the main street up to the Rova.