Australian bringing a young family from Melb to Mumbai - yes or no?

Hi there,
I have been approached by my company to take on a senior sales role based in Mumbai.
It has a decent IA attached but I have never really considered living in Mumbai or India for that matter.
Is there anyone out there who could spare some time and provide me with some information on life as an expat Aussie in India?

Is it a place that 3 young children (6, 3 and 2 months) could live and prosper?
What would the living conditions be like with an IA allowance?
Is the health insurance and health system adequate?
Is the cost of living in India expensive?
Are the travel opportunities safe and healthy throughout India, are there some kid friendly locations?
Is the expat community alive ad well?

I am sure that I have loads more questions but that is a start.

Would love to hear from anyone with any advice that would make my decision easier and made with more clarity.

Finally, would you bring 3 young Aussie, blonde and blue eyed kids to India to live?

J

Hello

Well I have never been to Australia but as far as my knowledge concerns I would say you wouldn't live a better life here compare to where you are right now. Specially with your family.

I would say if it was a vacation trip then India is of the best place to experience. But for staying here with your kids and wife, well I wouldn't recommend that.

Thanks

Thank you so much for your reply, very much appreciated. It is very difficult to make such a big decision on moving to a country that you have never been.

Thought I'd offer my 2 cents of advice...

>>Is the health insurance and health system adequate?

Public health insurance is very minimal. You need to buy a personal policy. Or via your company. Quality of public healthcare is pretty bad. Quality of private healthcare is extremely good. So as an expat with an IA you should be pretty well taken care of.

>>Is the cost of living in India expensive?

Food: cheap.
Apartments: Moderately expensive
Travel: Cheap

>>Are the travel opportunities safe and healthy throughout India, are there some kid friendly locations?

Travel is by and far safe. Healthy if you watch food and water. Pollution is bad in the bigger cities. Kids tend to keep themselves entertained. Indian culture is kid friendly on a whole.

I sent you a message with some more details; check your Inbox....

Hi,
as I assist Expats,students,Tourists & Volunteers,I feel that the best way to understand this new country, you should talk to Indian expats.Pls. get in touch with Indian expats in your city.I know some who have migrated to Australia.Shall be happy to send details on your private mail.
Best wishes
Art
P.S. the two important questions that you should ask yourself are
1)What sort of schooling do I need for my children?
2)Should I stay in South Mumbai or Suburb sucha Bandra?
3)Would I get a maid or nany who understand me and take good care of my children?

Hi J,
I also live in Australia - Sydney & my husband, myself & our 2 kids 14 & 10 are relocating to Mumbai this year for 3 years for my husbands work. We made the decision to relocate mainly for the great opportunity for my husbands career and for the life experience for the rest of our family. We are visiting India in April to have a look around adn would be happy to tell you what I expereince when I am there. I have researched India quite a bit & spoken to many expats & Indians re life in Mumbai. I find it to be a very interesting & challenging place from my research, but I am sure that we have great time ahead of us.
Cheers
Leonie

Dear Janda,

Hoep you are fine and all your family too...Well, according to what I see it seems you are not fully prepared yet for India. I suggest anyone who think of relocating there be it for studies or work or to live, to first step is to prepare yourself mentally.

In the one year I spent in Mumbai, I can only say that I am in love with the place. But It's something which I knew will happen before ven going there. I have prepared myself very well before I decided to go there for my studies. and now I have it even more clear. What I want is to live in INDIA.

We should keep in mind, that India is a different country. It has it's cultures and good and bad side. but I don't think there is any country in the world which is without any convenience.

Also, I remember that when I was in the FRRO I saw many American couples with their children doing the registration formalities etc. It seems really interesting to see those children that they will grow in such a vast rich cultured country. They will forever appreciate that experience once they get older.

You also should keep in mind that everything takes time, so once you reach india it will cost you a little to get used to everything, people, food, weather etc etc...but once you get used everything will be allright.

I liked the reply of @rpnabar. It describes everything as it is in reality. Life in india in general is cheaper compared to Europe or USA.
AND I think for your children, it's the right time for them as you have one who is 6 years old. so I think at  that age he should start the primary in India!!

All the best and any questions feel free to ask.

Wishes

hi janda,

I cannot answer the expat related questions but I can definitely help you out with the life in Mumbai

Yes, a lot of people tend to look at expats but thats only because you would stand out.
Mumbai is one of the safest cities in India.
Your kids can recieve the best education here in the IB schools since you would be renumerated well in your job, but they might have a tough time adjusting in school.
Cost of living would definitely not be very expensive since you convert your Australian Dollar to INR. So ask for a suitable renumeration since living in Mumbai in a good area comes with its cost!!
I hope it helps you

Hi,

Well dont worry you can stay better and happy life in Mumbai. I agree with ritzy since you will be converting AUS Dollar to Indian Rupee it will not be much costly for u . Also, get in touch with people who reside here or get in touch with some Mumbai local people so they can help you in finding place for you as thats the most tedious task for outsiders.

Hi, you really need to consider how adaptable and open to a different (and more challenging culture) your family is. What is likely to bother you the most isn't really related to money:

-Lack of open spaces (Mumbai is a very crowded, congested, polluted city). Can your family adjust to apartment living after probably having a back yard?
-Too much traffic on the road. The traffic in Mumabai is like endless Melbourne peak hour traffic, and during peak hour it often gets completely jammed. It can easily take 1.5 hours to travel 10 kilometers.
-Poor infrastructure, sometimes water shortages and internet outages.
-Lack of autonomy. So much of what you're used to doing by yourselves in Melbourne will be done by other people here...such as having a driver, having a maid etc. Sounds nice, but the realty is often different when you have to rely on others all the time. Managing staff can be difficult and there's the lack of privacy to deal with too. It can be tough getting used to having strangers (the home help) in your house all the time. But expats find them necessary because everything gets so dirty and dusty quickly, there are no appliances like dishwashers, and it's too risky to drive in Mumbai unless you're used to traffic that doesn't follow road rules.

But all that said, Mumbai is the most cosmopolitan city in India and in my view the best for expats. You'll find plenty of other expats in Mumbai, don't worry. Honestly, you'll be in for a HUGE culture shock though.  How long will you assignment to Mumbai be for though? If it's only short term, it may be okay.

Hi there, I have just been living in the eastern suburbs of Sydney and have a 9 year old and 5 year old. Our boys are enrolled in the top IB school in Mumbai and we intend on moving to Bandra (easiest suburb for expats I hear) I have done alot of research as we are moving to Mumbai for 2 years...I think you have to want to come to Mumbai or India for more then just work. You have to WANT to enjoy it here and be willing to overlook some of the downsides for some of the positives you may receive.
I am certainly used to the finer things in life ( I write to you from France where I am spending my last few weeks before India) I move to India in 19 days and all I can offer now is my humourous blog I have started writing which may enlighten you to some of my initial immeadiate responses. The kids are very excited...but we are here to have an adventure and do not expect life to be as it was in the eastern suburbs of sydney...if not just for the fact that this IS NOT Australia! Anyhow  maybe my blog will help you discover the first few days impressions...have a read. You will definetly have a laugh!
http://queenofthesuburbs.blogspot.com

Kind regards and good luck Queenie

leoniekeen wrote:

We are visiting India in April to have a look around

This is a good idea for you, janda, as well.

"Finally, would you bring 3 young Aussie, blonde and blue eyed kids to India to live"....can i know what exactly it means?? as far as i know, color of hair, eyes or skin is not at all related to staying in india, just dont listen to some chaps who had bad experience, its a colorful country with its own positives and negatives.