Closing on flat April 28 2017 utilities question

Hello,

My name is Ed and I am from the US. I live both in Richmond Va and Washington DC. We have our flat and about to close. How do I put the utilities in my name? My lawyer is making sure all bills are clear with current owner to include building dues and utilities and any other Liens. My Realitor , through Tower reality, said for 30.00 US they could pay the house and utility bills each month. I like managing this myself but I do not know how. Any suggestions?
I heard I can set up bank account and pay on line but can I do that from the US as we will not be living full time in Budapest. I am applying with my lawyer for extended visa instead of 90 days in and 90 days out.

Thank you all for any suggestions.

Ed

Ebowens111 wrote:

How do I put the utilities in my name?

Just like in the USA. You go to the utility company office, bring your documents showing you now own the property, and ask the bills to be put in your name.

Ebowens111 wrote:

My Realitor , through Tower reality, said for 30.00 US they could pay the house and utility bills each month. I like managing this myself but I do not know how. Any suggestions?
I heard I can set up bank account and pay on line but can I do that from the US as we will not be living full time in Budapest.

You should be able to do an international bank transfer from the US if that is okay with the utility company. But that may cost you quite a bit each month, if you pay monthly, in banking transaction fees (how much varies between banks). And you will be subjected to the bank's USD->HUF exchange rate. You can also ask your utility company if you can pay for a year in advance all at once to remove monthly bank transfer costs from your US account. You can also try to ask for a years billing receipts from your utility company and pay in cash the next time you are in Hungary.

If you plan to remain here for extended periods it does make sense to open a local Forint account.  And you can setup an automatic payment to pay your bills each month automatically, which is very convenient. And all major banks in Hungary have Internet baking options in English. And there are many other advantages in having a local bank account beyond just paying bills on-line.

Ebowens111 wrote:

I am applying with my lawyer for extended visa instead of 90 days in and 90 days out.

FWIIW: To get an extended visa in the EU requires a very good reason. Owning property alone is typically not such a reason.

You can pay some providers through dijnet.hu by card, check if yours are on this list: https://www.dijnet.hu/ekonto/control/sz … artnereink

Thank you all for your help. Will check on utility company going to them. The lady that lived in flat kept the flat very hot so cannot think of what utilities would be, very high I would guess. Thank you all again

Ed