North Coast Recent Events

There has been a lot of social media activity the last  3 days on the North Coast regarding the actions of the police and Immigration officials.

Here is what I have been told happened:

Expats from a variety of countries were stopped and checked for documentation. In many cases those doing the stopping did not speak any language other then Spanish.  If you could not produce documents you were "taken" and held.  Expats were taken from the beach,  bars, restaurants and off the street.

It sure caused a LOT of fear and trepidation.

Some were held and subsequently released. Some paid their "over stay fines" and were released and some  had to produce their travel documents, passports etc.

Here is what I was told caused this:

A new GUY IN CHARGE for the north coast set this up and he WAY OVERSTEPPED his authority. In fact acting in violation of the law!  He has been Stopped and it is not continuing any more!  They are not apprehending tourists or visitors now.

They do not have the right to apprehend you for overstaying your tourist visa.  That is fact.

Legally you have the right to pay the overstay  fine or fee on departure. That is the law.

They do have the right to apprehend you if you are working here ILLEGALLY. That is fact.

You do legally need to carry  ID with you showing who you are and your status. Carry a copy of your passport showing the entry stamp or the full passport.  Carry a copy of your Cedula  if you have one and your drivers license as well. 

If you are on the street or in a public place without ID you can be apprehended.  That is the law.

This information was provided to me by a lawyer.

What happened  is pretty disgusting.

What was done  -  scare tourists and people who contribute money here  -  has done  serious DAMAGE TO TOURISM.

I am embarrassed by what has happened and so sorry for those effected by this.

Thanks for the update. What they did was certainly not the way to promote the area that's for sure.....

Planner thanks for posting that here.  I have spent days on TA trying to relay the same information. 
As sad event for sure.
Bob K

I eas just in PP then too, and where i was staying people where afraid to leave the hostel.   Several said they would never come back, then they told all their friends, and they wrote it up all over social media, etc. I wonder how much the dr will be losing grom all these shakedowns.  I hope they sent that asshole commander to cut sugarcane by hand.

Yes the ramifications will be fairly widespread!

Thanks Planner. 

My question is... If you are just a tourist - staying for a week or two - do you still need to carry ID?

Yes carry a copy of your passport. That is all you need. The law says all persons must carry ID if you are outside your home or hotel. 

Normally this is not an issue!!!

Leave your passport in your deposit box (not a safe box, because everyone knows the emergency code), go out with a hard copy of the main page of your passport and one with your entry stamp or a copy of the 10 box they asked you on arrivall. You can also take pictures with your smartphone in case of ...
Regards

thanks...taking a pic with my phone sounds like the best way to go!

keep both my friend, they can steal your phone. :o

If you do so, save the picts on a cloud...in case off, It is a good means of proof.

First thing they do is try to confiscate your phone so best to have a hard copy!

A friend of mine on FB (who shall remain nameless) posted this on her page:
A tourist is a person who travels to a place for pleasure.
A expat is a person who leaves their native country to live elsewhere/
An illegal alien or 'undocumented alien' is a non-citizen who has entered a country illegally or an alien who entered a country legally but who has fallen "out of status" - (without documentation and no longer a tourist)

We have been coming to the DR for 9 years now. In the beginning as a tourist and at that time the airlines required we have a return ticket. This would show that we are only visiting and not planning to remain in the country. When we moved here we began the temporary residency process, not because we didn't want to pay the fines when we leave but because it is the law and the right thing to do. It is no different than moving to any other country and choosing to live there. There are rules that must be followed. Age also does not have any bearing on the rules. If one chooses to live in a country as an expat then they should also be prepared to become documented in the new country. If one chooses to be a tourist in a country, visiting for a period of time for pleasure, then they should be prepared to follow the rules - obtain a Visa or carry proper documentation - what ever is required for the country they are entering.

Although there seems to be some confusion in the DR right now there is a common thread to the issues - If you carry your documentation and show it to authorities when asked you will be fine. Whether that documentation is a residency card or a copy of your passport, entry day stamp and return ticket. Presentation of these documents are what authorities are looking for.

Bob K

Just found this post from the national immigration office:
The General Migration Office (DGM) has been clamping down on illegal immigration in the Sosua and Cabarete areas in Puerto Plata province over the last week, with the detention of 35 citizens of several nationalities, most of whom were in the country without the required documentation.

The detainees included seven Canadians, five Russians, five Germans, four Italians, three Venezuelans, two US citizens, one Swiss citizen, one Pole and a Greek. in addition, one Bolivian, one Serbian, one Spaniard, a Hungarian, a Cuban and a citizen of the Netherlands.

Twenty-six of the foreigners who were detained were released after regularizing their migratory status, while two were able to show that their documents were valid, but had not been carrying them at the time of detention.

The remaining seven are in custody and face deportation for residing in the country illegally.

Folks this has been threatened for a long time. And we have been warned for many months that this was coming.  It is the law.  If you don't play by the rules and get caught well who is to blame??????????????????

Bob K

The people detained I am told were working illegally! 

Non residents can own real estate, vehicles and businesses. But, you cannot work in the business without your cedula and residencia.

It's nonsense to refer to gringo tourists as 'illegals', rather than the assets to the country most are.  The dr makes their living from them, and its stupid to scare them off. I wonder how much the recent bungling had cost the country, in money and reputation.

There is a big price to pay for sure!  They have damaged the reputation and there is a lot of talk going on now.

Thanks for all the advice.  Myself and some friends are going down to Cabarete next week.  We won't have access to a copier...so it makes that whole deal about getting copies of passport stamps a hassle.  Do you think a copy of an itinerary will do the job?

No you need to carry copy of your passport. There are copiers at the airport!

Copies may be made at hotel lobbies and internet centers as well. Taking a picture of it on the cel phone would also serve as an additional backup.

Your hotel or rental agency will have a copier.

Bob K

Wow... I have been so busy trying to get everything ready for my upcoming ( this week) trip to PP that I have not read many of the posts on here.
Thank you everyone for the heads up, explanations and the exact things needed to avoid getting in trouble with the law.
I have to admit it has me a little apprehensive... and very much agree with the rest of the opinions on here: this will have great ramifications ..... :-( ..But, for me personally, it's good to know the solution: carry ID and proof of entry ( so I guess I should make a copy of the entry visa right at the airport since I won't be staying at a resort or hotel )?
I am so very grateful for you guys sharing as openly as you do and helping newbies like myself find their way there.... 😊

Thank you so much you guys !! Hope to maybe meet some of you in person some day too ! 😊

Glad you are making the trip.  How long are you  going to be in the DR for

Bob K

Bobk, I will be there for 5 weeks during this step of my big plan.. :-)

Bikerchick

I will be around mid march.  Let me know if  you need anything

Bob K

Thank you kindly Bob K ! Will do and hope to meet you in person as well someday ! :-)

Bikerchick

Sending you a PM

Bob K