Retired US military living in Mauritius? Questions!

Does anyone have knowledge of how the Mauritian government classifies our foreign retired / government pay (for occupation permit reasons)?

Is it consideed professional work (as its technically retainer pay), or is it considered self-employed?

For anyone not familiar, I received a permanent monthly military retirement payment (for life) from the US government regardless of where I live.

Applying for an Occupation Permit, how is that payment classified (it's about xxxxx rupees per month and is my primary, though not sole, source of income). I would like to run a small business once settled into Mauritius as well.

Also, from what I read the Tax treaty does not tax income from off the island, so I would only be taxed by the US on that income...correct?

Lastly...any other advice or pitfalls for retired military / government on the island?

Thanks!

Adam

Hi Adam,

I'm not a tax-expert, nor do I live in Mauritius, so buyer beware.  In general, taxation is decided on where you are classed as being resident; so if you are resident in Mauritius, then you will be taxed there on your income; my experience (ex-military, with a pension) is that military pensions are regarded as income for tax purposes.

I've just checked the Mauritius Government website and there doesn't appear to be a Double-Taxation agreement with the US, which may cause you issues (being taxed twice).  I hope I'm 100% wrong.

As a US citizen abroad, you are still required to make annual returns to the IRS and depending on your home State, there as well.

My advice, speak to a tax-consultant.

Hope this helps.

Hi, your best bet is to contact the American Embassy in Mauritius.

https://mauritius.usembassy.gov/contact.html

Embassy of the United States of America
4th Floor, Rogers House
John Kennedy Avenue
P.O. Box 544
Port Louis
Republic of Mauritius

Tel: (230) 202-4400
Fax: (230) 208-9534
Email: [email protected]

Sighsmatrs wrote:

1. Does anyone have knowledge of how the Mauritian government classifies our foreign retired / government pay (for occupation permit reasons)?
You mean that it is a pension from the military !
2, Is it consideed professional work (as its technically retainer pay), or is it considered self-employed?
None , since it is a pension per se
For anyone not familiar, I received a permanent monthly military retirement payment (for life) from the US government regardless of where I live.

3.Applying for an Occupation Permit, how is that payment classified (it's about xxxx rupees per month and is my primary, though not sole, source of income). I would like to run a small business once settled into Mauritius as well.
same as above.
However, if you manage to get a residence permit as a retiree you are not allowed to have employment.
If you apply for an occupational permit  either as a self employed or investor ( check the criteria to be eligible) that pension will be considered as income derived from overseas as per this :

http://www.investmauritius.com/media/68 … -taxes.pdf

4. Also, from what I read the Tax treaty does not tax income from off the island, so I would only be taxed by the US on that income…correct?

Check the link inside the URL given above about treaties. Mind you because of FACTA, Uncle Sam will come after you even on the interest that you will get on your account in Mauritius.

5.Lastly...any other advice or pitfalls for retired military / government on the island?
None whatsoever  if you don't meddle in local affairs  ;)
Thanks!

Adam

As an advice and FWIW ,never mention amount of money on a public site - sharks can surface anytime

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far. From what I've found, although there is no tax treaty with the US, Mauritius does offer across the board tax credits for double taxation, should that be necessary.

Will be getting in touch with the Embassy to see what additional info they have.

Right now we are trying to decide between Puerto Rico and Mauritius, as I love both and both fit our needs (although they are quite different).

Thanks again for any info or advice!

Adam