VPN, overcome the firewall

Dear all,

hope all is well with you.

I am heading to china for a year, I heard that some of the internet sits are not accessible. 

I was wondering if you have any experience with free VPN and which one works in china best?

all the best

thanks for your help

Cheers
Darius

The official blocking includes (but might not be limited to) all things Google, FB, YT, related Cloud services and email, non-Chinese Window's updates. My security software updates went wonky at first but later they re-stabilized. LinkedIn and Bing web search work fine in China.   

My experience is as follows:
Shortly after arriving in China, I installed a Google affiliated patch on my laptop using a local Shenyang server, and this circumvented all the above blocks (Nov. 2016). All was great for a week on that Shenyang server. Then I moved my laptop to a Dalian server and it was intrusively reset in a way that I knew what happened. After that, the laptop was less functional and slower than before. Later the same day, the same thing happened to my local helper's desktop on the Shenyang server.

After this experience I decided not to try another work around by subscribing to a VPN.  Other posts suggest VPN users are also detected and corrected from time to time. I didn't want to risk being a second offender. 

On a trip to Japan (Jan 2017), the laptop spent several hours on the first day just doing programmed software updates and cloud backups (gigs of photos). Then all the blocked things worked again in Japan, without any problems. Other China-origin laptop problems were auto-detected by MS and Google and fixed at that time. 

If in China for awhile, it might be a good idea to convert some practices to the equivalent Chinese software, which is excellent. For example, Maps and GPS navigation using Baidu instead of Google. Baidu or Youdao voice translate instead of Google. This will also integrate with efforts to learn culture and language, and makes it easier to connect with ordinary Chinese, who are usually very helpful and interested in tech matters and the blocking problem when asked.

In the past some relies to VPN matters have been like adverts for this or that service, and taken down by website staff. An old thread retains some VPN names.

Hi Ian

thanks a lot for your great reply.

so I will try to use the local open internet pages, as I need only to do my uk-based internet banking and search for some material in internet.

cheers
have a nice day

Expats with Corporate offices tend to go for $$$ full service VPN, I think regulation matters might be more strict for an individual than for users belonging to a registered foreign corporation or business.

It's recommended to get WeChat set up on your smartphones. It  should be readily available as a free download worldwide. Then, with a Mandarin-speaking helper, you can visit a China telecom and get a basic (not expensive) local chip & data package (reliance on WiFi is frustrating, as there are not too many easy WiFi spots for foreigners, many require a local cell number to register the WiFi).

WeChat is ubiquitous in China, no instructions are needed to use its basic functions from the get go, it's a free Chinese substitute for text messaging, voice messaging, video messaging, and photo or file share.  Wechat can also be used like Facebook (but simpler and more efficient). Advanced users can get taxis, exchange e-currency with others, pay for stuff,  share locations, and other wonderful things. In 10-secs you can scan someone else's Wechat ID to stay connected, so its great for keeping contact with locals, expats, and other tourists you meet. Geeks can figure out how to get the voice messages from your Mandarin contacts (in Wechat) sent to your installed Baidu or Youdao voice translator, and some Chinese contacts know how to do the same with your foreign language voice messages.

Forgot to mention, all my Canadian e-banking, stock trading, and investment on-line services work fine in China. Probably you should use a security software package with a secured login option to access such websites. My Bit-defender package has a routine for this.

Dear Ian,

Many thanks for your help and information.

I have already installed WeChat and I hope this will work.

have a nice day

My experience is that free VPN services don't work reliably. Some are actively blocked in China, others just have such a poor service level that you can't use them.

Having lived in China for 11 years, I know that good internet access is an important part of an expat's lifestyle. Without access to Youtube, Gmail and Facebook, you can become pretty isolated.

For that reason, I recommend you spend a few dollars on a quality VPN service. You can get ones for as little as $3 a month but I suggest you spend something around the $10 a month mark, in order to ensure the service works. I'm currently using ExpressVPN myself.

I strongly recommend that you set up your VPN before coming to China. Once you arrive here, you will probably find that the download site for the VPN software and Google Play Store for your phone apps, are blocked. Get these systems downloaded and installed on your computer and phone now.