Canadian Couple thinking of relocating to Las Terrenas

Husband and I would like to live somewhere in the Caribbean in the near future.
Planning a trip to Las Terranes in May 2017 to check out all it has to offer.
Can anyone recommend a reputable and knowledgable realtor in Las Terrenas?  Would like to check out the real estate market. Is it a buyers' or sellers' market? Just at the research stage and would appreciate any knowledgable tips or advice in all aspects of possibly relocating there.  How easy/difficult is it to start your own business?
Much appreciated,
dayna

First off welcome to the forum.  You will find lots of information here on the various threads.
Have you visited the DR before and if so have you only been on resorts.  Living here is vastly different than staying on a resort. You actually should look at various areas before settling on the one for you.
As to starting a business it is very hard and lots of hoops to jump through including getting you residency and cedula.
Do you speak Spanish?? or French (sill help you in Las Terranes)??
Again welcome

Bob K

Hi Hollydayna,

In my opinion, Las Terrenas is a very decent place to live/retire. I went there for the first time in 2000 and kept on visiting the place 1, 2 or 3 times a year. The village has a human scale, without huge all inclusive resorts. There is a wide variety of Expat or Dominican owned shops, small hotels and restaurants. I would say it is a bit more classy than some ugly spots, result of mass tourism, I will not mention here.

The only possible drawback is the cost of living. This is the most expensive place of the country : housing, food, electricy are quite pricey ... it depends on your budget. Real estate prices are always negotiable by 30%. Take your time.

It is difficult to start a own business, what is still harder  to do is to live on it and sustain it over the years. Lots of people lost pack of dollars, euros ... This applies to the whole country, not only to Las Terrenas.

If you intend to relocate and start a business, you will first need to have a good knowledge of the country, a deep understanding of the Spanish spoken there and a good lawyer. Beware of expats who show up with "the golden opportunity".

Take good note of Bob K piece of advice.
Hope this can help.

Welcome to the forum.

Guineo Verde.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the information Bob.  My husband and I have travelled to other Caribbean islands but have not been to the DR before.  We are doing a lot of research and trying to fit on-line Spanish in as well. We prefer not to stay at resorts and will usually rent a condo while on vacation. We are looking for the perfect 'fit' for us and obviously will not know till we experience what the DR offers. 
Ideally....... a boat,a business and home in a beautiful tropical setting!
Thanks again,
Dayna

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any questions. We have been on the north coast in the Sosua/Cabarete area for 11 years (full time)

Bob K