Getting married as a British Girl to a Mauritian

Hey!

So basically as a European I had to do the following... firstly don't panic! I know it's daunting and seems like there is so much to do but honestly it's not that hard.

1. Make sure you have an updated passport
2. A police certificate from your country to state that you're not a criminal of course... this is very simple I was worrying about this but I just did my application online and uploading a letter from my house and a passport photo they then send a certificate to confirm you are of good character
3. Payslips - you need to show you are working and have some kind of income, even though you may plan to stay they need this
4. Bank statements - to be on the safe side I've got 6 months worth to show I've had income and money coming in.
5. Copies of your birth certificate
6. Copies of your passport
7. Return flight reservation - now from all that I read I was so annoyed because I thought I would have to pay for a return flight... however this isn't the case you can purchase a flight reservation, I'll send over the site details. You can do this a week before you leave and they send to over to you, it costs around €20 (£16) and it's legit and purposely for immigration purposes.
8. A letter from your future husband ;) to say he wants and agrees to marry you, we have also put a letter together from his family to show that they agree and that it isn't legit, they've also stated they will support us fully and that I will live with them. If he lives independently then he needs to show proof that he can support you.
9. Money. I am taking only maybe £1000 so in euros around €2400. To show that I have money to live on whilst I am there.
10. A medical exam in mauritius to show you haven't got any contagious diseases. You can just go to a doctor (Atchia) is the bane ask at the civil office and it costs 500 rupees and takes around 5 mins of your time.
11. When in Mauritius all paperwork must be taken to the civil office they will then confirm a date etc
12. Whilst in Mauritius you must swear a affidavit which costs 150 rupees. You can print off one of these through the Mauritian government website or ask at the civil office.

When arriving in Mauritius airport you must have already stated on your flight card that you're here to get married. They should stamp your passport with a marriage visa.

If you're planning to get married at a hotel or venue then the civil office do charge a fee for that.

Me and my partner are literally just having the legalities done at the civil office exchange of rings etc and then we will celebrate with family, that night we plan to stay at a hotel so that we have privacy and a change of scenery. 

I really hope this is helpful to you. I know that I would have loved to know all this before hand!

You can follow my journey at

Mauritianmemoirs.wordpress.com

Hi Elouise8819,

Thanks for sharing. Maybe you could add your blog in the Blogs from expats in Mauritius section of the website so that members may easily go through the articles.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Thanks a lot!

Emma :)

I am planning the same.
I went on the homepage of the civil center and also asked face to face to an officer.
There was never any mentioning about the return flight reservation and also not about the letter of your future husband.

All I have to do is present:
- copy of birth certificate
- morality paper
- divorce document
- bank statement
- payment slip or contract with a company in Mauritius
- doctor´s certificate that I don´t have diseases and that I am not pregnant from my ex husband

All documents which are in foreign language have to be translated to English and require a notary stamp. No apostille necessary.

I recommend everyone to talk to the officers directly, the embassies sometimes don´t know as requirements are changing. And they are different from nation to nation.

You got a sister? I'm single. :p

Informative, never knew there was so much work involved with coming here as a foreign spouse.

Hi there, I got married in November last year here in Mauritius, and I didn't have any pay slips but they accepted bank statements of up to 3 months from a UK bank account. I'm sure it's fine for you to have payslips from the UK also, as long as it's the original.

Hello!

I'm in the same position as you were and currently considering the process of this. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions, I know this thread is quite old but I'm hoping you can help!

- When you requested a police check which one did you apply for?! There are a few different ones on the GOV UK website (basic DBS check which is £25, Subject Access Request from ACRO which is £10 or Police certificate from ACRO which is £45). I'm not sure which one would be best?

- Also, when you stated on your immigration card that you were coming to Mauritius for a marriage, how long did they give you in Mauritius for a marriage visa? I'm staying in Mauritius for 2 months and have already booked a return flight back to the UK, would this be okay? I've stayed in Mauritius for 2 months before as a tourist but unsure what it's like for marriage visas!

- Did you need a birth certificate that was issued within the last 3 months before you went? I've heard mixed information about this, some saying you do others saying that is ONLY for the Mauritian citizen you're marrying.

- One more thing! Did you get a copy of your medical records from your doc in the UK before you went or did you just get a medical check when in Mauritius? I know you have to get one in Mauritius anyway but I've heard you have to provide one from home too?

Thank you in advance for any help!

xx

Thank you for your reply Joanne,

It's asking me for an endorser for the police check and there's a long list of relevant occupations for the endorser.. I don't know anyone with these jobs!

Is this definitely the right one..

x