Aspiring musician from the UK planning to move to New York

Hi, I'm Scott. I'm 21 years old and I am a Guitar player. I am not professional at the moment, but I want to move to New York and persue a career in performing and recording music.

What I want to know is what would be required for me to go about doing that? What Visa's? Would I first need to convince an agent that I'm worth their time via material, and would they then be able to sponser me?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

New York is a highly energized, dynamic and  vibrant music scene, but it is cutthroat competitive as well.  I would suggest that you go to school to "up your game" so to speak, then get two or three years of real world experience with a full time working covers band. This will give you the skillset and the confidence to test the waters in  New York.  Keep in mind that you will still be quite young, and NYC  will still be there... Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I have studied music and have a diploma in popular music studies. I have some gigging experience but I do plan on getting on the scene soon starting from scratch in London, as it has by far the most opportunities in the UK. Though getting my foot through the door is the question.

Thanks,

Look into working in the Middle East or Asia in a top-40 type cover band or working on cruise ships. If your reading is strong, you can stay employed on ships for as long as you like...

Look into working in the Middle East or Asia in a top-40 type cover band or working on cruise ships. If your reading is strong, you can stay employed on ships for as long as you like...One of the benefits of working on ships (in addition to being able to save a lot of money) is that you will develop friendships and contacts all over the world.