Where what how

Hi Guys  newbie here   my wife has an apartment block (duplex) in nairobi with 15 apartments we need to sell and move on where is best to do this  ?? any help will be most welcome is there trust worthy agents around,
or anyone on here interested??

peter

Hello and welcome.

There is a section on here where you can advertise.  Alternatively, there is Expat Link, OLX etc where you can advertise.

There are plenty of estate agents, such as Ryden International, Pam Golding, Knight Frank, Hass Consult.  Of course you will have their commission to think about - maybe around 1.5%, perhaps more. Of course the advantage of an agent is that they have the contacts.

If selling without an agent, beware of brokers.  If a broker introduces you to a buyer, they will expect a commission.  However, the broker might have networked with one or more others - everyone in the chain will expect to be paid and they can be very threatening if you refuse. Bear in mind that a broker may have seen your property being advertised and involve themselves by introducing the buyer.  One of the advantages of hiring an estate agent is that this scenario is unlikely to occur.

Kenyans are wary of taking out mortgages, so will probably be looking for a cash buyer.  Avoid anyone who offers payment in instalments.  For example; someone selling some of their own property to raise the money to buy yours.  What will you do if only some of the instalments are paid?

Lastly, this is an election year, so you may not get top dollar. Equally, the confidence of investors after the election may depend on who runs the next government!

hell thanks very much , Do these agents only get paid after the property has sold or do they expect a payment to start with please

peter

Similar to the UK; the agents commission is normally paid from the proceeds of the sale.  You may also need to engage the services of a lawyer to draw up a sales agreement/contract.  I think that buyers prefer it if a lawyer has drawn this up and witnessed it, although it's a fairly standard document.  Normally a deposit is paid, often 20% by the purchaser on signing the contract.  Completion within 90 days, but there is absolutely no reason why the whole transaction cannot be completed in a day.

By the way, it's not a good idea for a purchaser to allow a lawyer to hold a deposit (as is the usual practice in the UK).  The money isn't necessarily secure.  We bought a piece of land a few years ago, using a lawyer who we had used several times before.  He held the deposit, but decided to use the money to buy a car, counting on replacing the cash through future business, which then didn't materialise.  We very nearly lost the sale and the money.  If a purchaser is unwilling to pay the deposit to you, then offer to open a joint account with the purchaser, with dual signatures.  This can be closed on completion. Interest to be paid to you, of course.

thankyou so much really appreciate

peter

i have another query which i hope you may advise on

my wife who is kenyan and i who are british we married in NIGERIA  we are now told this has to be registered in kenya , i have contacted a so called lawyer who is quoting 120000.00 shillings which just to register seems an absurb price , is there any way i can check

regards

peter

I have commented on your other thread.

yes thankyou

In my experience, there are some things for which the best solution is to come to Kenya and sort out yourselves, during a planned visit.   Employing a third party from outside the country is inviting excessive expenditure.  You are also trusting someone you don't know to provide information, the accuracy of which you have no way of knowing.  You run the risk of being out of pocket and still not having the results you were hoping for.