Starting a business in Mauritius

Hi,

I am an Indian national living and working in Middle East (UAE), I have been a couple of times to Mauritius where I have visited one of the India trade fair once.
I want to start a business in MRU, can you advise which one of these below will do well:
1. Indian Restaurant
2. Educational institute (specially IT)
3. A boutique of Indian dresses
If possible I would like to tie up with any existing MRU based person in any of the above sectors.
Regards
Rahul

I haven't been here for long but I think those business areas are quite well covered in Mauritius already.  To get permission to start a business as a foreigner, you will need a more innovative idea (something not currently being done).

Hi,

Sute the below sectors I mentioned must be already thete and maybe saturated. But sure there can be need for good education providers in MRU, as I noticed long back. I specially think that there may be a need of a good educational institute, specially giving good IT education.
Howeverthere are many start ups in India which can be replicated in MRU as its still an untapped market, like solar panels for electricity etc.
I do need some good advise from someone settled in MRU or Seychelles.

Regards

Rahul

Hi Rahul,

No sectors are saturated as long as you bring in innovative ideas and a new business model.

While there are many Indian restaurants and Indian-themed shops in Mauritius...there is always room for new-comers as long as you bring in something unique...new products, new concept, new business strategy...

However bear in mind that as a foreigner, your permit to invest in Mauritius will be subject to some conditions...one example...your business should be able to generate a minimum annual turnover.

An IT training institute would fare well too.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Thanks for reply.

Hello,

You will need a mauritian partner to be able to create a company in mauritius.
However partnership business does not last long...
but you can use innovative business ideas like an online shop for example...

feel free to ask for questions...

it depends on your investment also

Sorry, you don't need a Mauritian partner in every case to open a business. This piece of information IS WRONG.

You may be required to have a resident director and at the start (at the creation of the company) you are not yet resident p. Normally your consultant or adviser can provide a nominee director (who doesn't need to be a shareholder). Once the foreign investor obtains his residency, he can be the only director and shareholder in most cases (except in certain TEL business where local shareholding is required)

Hmmm ok. Thank you :)

Educational institute should be a favorite and maybe your best point to focus on. There is quite a demand for IT related training (security, mobile, coding, etc). I know it well since I'm having quite a headache recruiting developers, quality assurance staff, testing and quality control staff for ecommerce.

I also worked on a project designed to uplift IT literacy within the working population.

Yes, I'd definitely put my thoughts on training and education.

Hi,
My advice
1. Option - A classy Indian restaurant in a shopping mall - several such restaurants owned by Indians exist and are successful. However, renting of premises and running cost for such economic activity are relatively high.
2. Option - An outlet selling trendy Indian clothing, South Indian will work well as there is much demand. As regards to North Indian clothing, it won't work as there are thousands of outlets for such products.
There is no more room for educational training. Too much competition,

What's the difference between South Indian and Indian clothing...

How does this difference work in a non-Indian market where most people can't even see the difference? Stating that there is much demand for South Indian market seems a bit blurry statement in my opinion. If there were such demands for such clothing, would all those big names in Indian clothing (present in Mauritius for decades now) not enter this segment?

I'm referring to traditional and well-established shops like Tulsidas, Hassamal, Rajwani, etc.

True that training sector is highly competitive, but still there remain some room for entrants if they :

(a)  offer different training areas / subjects
(b)  alternative and substitutes to existing training offers (eg: providing value-added elements)
(c)   provide reputed and well-classified qualifications (accredited by top universities, for instance)
(d)  offer innovation in the training delivery process
(e)  target specific and unexploited markets (Eg: enhancing skills of working population, providing courses in high-end coding language in ICT).

Training is now an important segment of our development and government is still pursuing efforts to improve the existing offers. In my opinion, if the new entrants has some strong proposal, it has room to enter and grow.

Hi Rahul,

I just came across your post, seeking to start a business in Mauritius. I personally am involved in Training and also have a clothes showroom.

There is a gap in the market for a good IT institution and this can be discussed further.

Get in touch with me and we can surely work on something.

Kind regards,

Omran Ahmad

Moderated by Chris 7 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,

I would really like to know more about the online shop idea and will it be feasible in MRU? and can you get resident permit on its basis.
Please reply me on  ***
Regards

Rahul

Moderated by Chris 7 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.

Hi,

Your email has been hidden and I will not be able to reply you. Add me on What s App on
Look forward to hear from you soon.

Regards

Omran

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : please communicate in private

Hi Omran,
Thats ok as yr number too was hidden.
Anyway since you were discussing about opening a good quality training institute. Do let me know more about it on rahul0910
Rgds
Rahul

Hi rahul. I'm currently based in mauritius and may have an exisiting profitable business in the hospitality sector that may interest.. inbox me

Cheers

Hi,

I would like to know more about it. Please mail me back your proposal or ad d me what s a pp onxxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you

Hello Rahul!

After many years in the Middle East we have moved to Mauritius and start up our own business in 2 of the areas you listed.

Do contact us and we can discuss in details!

Regards!

Hi Evar,

Thanks for contacting, please do let me know more as I am still very much interested my sk yp is *** so you can reply and do contact me.
Thanks
Rahul
Dubai

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you

This thread is very interesting because in another one we have been told that small to medium size businesses that expats. want to open in Mauritius are not ''encouraged''
( ie by the government) and permission is not easily obtained. And even that ''encouraged'' means ''allowed''. We have been lead to believe anything a local person could do is not available to foreigners - who would be seen as competitors.

Hi

I am a seychelloise living in mauritius.  Please can you give me your email adress so that i can be in contact with you regarding any business you wanted to do.

Awaiting for a swift reply from you.

Thanks.

Alice

Dear Nadeem,

You are right, actually when I was in MRU long time back, I used to see that the fashion which MRU girls think is latest was obsolete in India, also I think they watch a lot of Indian saas/bahu serials and they think all Indians live and dress like they do in these serials. Life is quite different, this was observed by my Mauritian friends when they visited Delhi to visit me. I took them to shops where they could see the latest trend themselves. Their greatest fun was when they saw snow for the first time. Also, they found India quite cheap at that time (10 years back) which I don't think so.
Rahul

Hi Alice,

Added...
I am still looking to start something in MRU. I have tons of ideas, just see whats going to really work.

Rahul