Do you speak Slovene?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Slovene is essential for a successful integration in Slovenia. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Slovene? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Slovenia?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Slovenians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,
I am from Indian and leaving here more than one year. I agreed with that, if you have to settle down in Slovenia, You have to learn Slovenian language. It will make your local career boost as well. On the other hand if you are highly skilled IT professional then its bit easy to get in market. But without local language Its hard to integration.

I am not speaking Slovenian language on that level but just little basics. Here are some local organizations which is providing free services to learn Slovenian language. But if you have have residence status here then even Slovenian Govt also provide you free language school.
But I am living in the capital city Ljubljana, so its not difficult to survive here without local language. You can find the easily people can speak English but apart job. Moreover all people can understand English here in the city but in the rural area its quite difficult to survive. Mostly people can understand German, Italian and Spanish language.

Hope this will help you.
Sukhbir

what a  lovely Reply to the post.
I have read it most time that being able to speak Slovene will go a long way in helping one socializing within a community in Slovenia. Also, the school enrolled into sent several mails as regards to Slovene language seminar, this confirmed what you said about language school organized by Slovene Goverment for  foreigners with residence.
But friend, I will like if I may have a prior knowledge about daily living in Slovenia, social life compares with rest of western world and perhaps any other information you deem fit.

Thanks.