Speaking Malagasy in Madagascar

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Malagasy is essential for a successful integration in Madagascar. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Malagasy? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Madagascar?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Malagasies?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

When I first came to Madagascar I was a solo budget traveler that drifted around the world for about 20 years.  I knew very little about Madagascar 15 years ago when there was little to no internet  and guide books were sparse.
However I knew a little French, from being in France, I speak English but most of my communications was through pointing and using body language.  Those of you who have traveled enough are very comfortable with this form of pointing style of communication, with a smile and a laugh included.
I came back to Madagascar several times as I felt very much at home here. It was a remarkable feeling that I didn't even feel for my own native USA.  I met my wife here and she has taught me the language and hidden body language that comes with each culture and I taught her the English language.
No matter how much Malagasy you learn you will never be fully integrated into the society, its the same every where  as you were not born here. Even those who are born here and are Indians and Chinese are not truly considered Malagasy so the Vasaha is always a vasaha.
With the 18 different tribes and with so many more different dialects, it can be difficult to learn the Malagasy Language.  I have only met 8 maybe 10 Malagasy people who has some idea of how to speak English but there are still plenty of gaps in their understanding of the English Language. My wife is by far the best Malagasy English speaker I have come across in Madagascar.
It is possible to learn enough Malagasy to conduct daily life but having a more philosophical conversation is beyond my skills. 
However if you want to travel around Madagascar as a tourist for example, you really don't need more than 100  Malagasy words ( not including numbers which can be in french)  to find accommodations, food, travel and pleasantries.
For those of you who want to expand on the language, I think it is important to not only speak the language but to see how those words are written down,  this is how I have learned the language and this was to be able to have a visual of the word since words appear to sound different than when they are spelled out and are different in different tribes. And the internet now has free and paid language courses that teaches Malagasy where you can see the written word and hear the sound of the word. 
My wife on the other hand does dispute the usage of certain words and sounds, as well as the meaning and spelling---but in the long run you will get a good 80% correct in the learning process. 
Remember Gris-gris, or taboos and  dead spirits run deep through out central core of the language that is not understood by the Vasaha ( and the teachers like Peace Corps and missionaries) but is also a part of understanding of the word and language.
And the nuance of singing out certain words that are different in different tribes and not so much in the Merina language--huhu huh!<----<---example--------that is common Merina expression that is used very often at the end of a sentence or to stress an idea of importance.