Speaking Spanish in Honduras

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Spanish is essential for a successful integration in Honduras. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Spanish? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Honduras?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Hondurans?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,

Speaking the language of the country is a valuable asset and highly recommended. Learning a new language is also one of the most powerful brain stimulants there is and has excellent benefits. I live on Roatan and it is an English speaking island as it's history is primarily British, unlike the mainland. You don't need any Spanish to live here and English has become much more common than it used to be on the mainland. That being said, acquiring at least a basic knowledge of Spanish would be smart, and fun. There are a number of Spanish schools in the country. On Roatan Kelly McLarnan runs The Language Loft which has great reviews.

Knowing Spanish is extremely important to me because I do enjoy the ability to communicate with those around me. I have friends who speak limited Spanish and it does limit their capacity to communicate with non-English speakers. Communicating is the basis for all that surrounds us, transportation, ordering meals and even knowing where the bathrooms are. The Bay Islands of Honduras has a much higher percentage of English speakers!

Priscilla - Please define your term "successful integration".

Well i believe the hondurans should make as much time to help new commers  and travellers should be able to speak  english to them and they should understand. You would have more travellers going there to visit or purchase a property. there is not much effort on the honduran side

I wish, I have lived here in Honduras from 2004. I do not speak nor do I understand any Spanish. I can't even order from a numbered board at the Mall. I hired a family who take care of my daily needs. Granted life would be easier if I could better understand, but I manage. I love living here, but realize that living here is no for everybody.

I just speak English louder. Lol

Spanish is extremely important, yet you will find English speakers, (as there are many bilingual schools in Honduras). My advice is if you are involved in legal transactions, you need a trust worthy translator, as all legal documents in Honduras will be in Spanish.

Donde fueres, haz lo que vieres

I speak Spanglish.  Growing up in the United States with Spanish parents.  My Spanish has gotten much better since I now travel to Honduras and Puerto Rico on a regular basis now.

Oh la lay, hey Esa.  Semone.