Paraguay Passport Info

Hi friends.

i am John, living in India. i have traveled to few countries, last one was i visited was st Lucia ( Caribbean ). i read more information about south america & am quite impressed with that..

Now am planning to spend rest of my life in Paraguay. There are nearly 151 Indians who live in Paraguay, i want to be one among them...

I have an Indian passport.with this can i apply for Paraguay passport.

The information so far what i got to avail citizen ship is..

I need to make a deposit of sum $5000USD in a bank..

Then apply with all my legal documents of my mine,(certificate: birth, Passport, Health, Civil State)...

the process would take 3-4 months, then i get Paraguay ID card ( temporary).

after 3 years down the lane, i will get Paraguay passport. right?

i have no issues providing these documents,  after obtaining an Resident ID card, can i stay legally and work, with or without coming back to my home town.

If u know any lawyers do post me or any additional information to share pls be advised.

Thank you..

There is Paraguay embassy in Delhi..

AM looking for a person who can guide me & direct me.

The above information is basically correct. The legal documents from country of origin need to be legalised at the Paraguayan consulate of that country.

Permanent residence is then established in Paraguay as temporary residence does not lead to naturalisation. Permanent residency takes 5-6 months. this will allow you to work and start a business. You enter Paraguay as a tourist and your status changes when you submit documents for residency. you are allowed to stay in paraguay while waiting for residency.

3 years after receiving permanent residency you are able to apply for naturalisation.

Ariel Ortiz Santander

ah ok.. am little clear.

can i submit my documents in indian,(paraguay Embassy).

Or do i need to travel to paraguay myself and submit all my relevant documents. to start the process.

As i heard if i pay  $5000USD.. after obtaining  Paraguay ID card... we can withdraw the money..

Thanks friend, U have provided more usefull information.

You must have your documents legalised in the Paraguayan embassy in the country where they were issued before you arrive in Paraguay. Please check to see if the Paraguayan embassy require these to be translated into spanish and obtain a list of the translators they have approved.

You must then come to Paraguay to begin the process of obtaining permanent residency here. Your documents have to be legalised again and there are a number of other documents, such as local police registration and a health check, to be obtained here.

Once you have been granted residency, which should take roughly six months, you are free to withdraw your $5000 dollars deposited in your savings account.

Ariel Ortiz Santander

Thank you very much Ariel,

ariel, is it possible to have a paraguay passport and  also a usa or other second passport? i read somewhere that paraguay only allows you nto have its passport. thk u for your time.   bill

hello trivita,

american passport holders are allowed to have a paraguayan passport without renouncing us citizenship.

it was true in the past that paraguay had laws against dual citizenship but this is no longer the case.  there are international treaties that enable dual citizenship and it goes on a country to country basis so the existence of the treaty is the real issue.

kind regards,

ariel ortiz santander

Hi ariel
I am from India.If I come there ,How many days I need to stay there?

thanks
naveen

hello naveenx,

thank you for your enquiry.

preparing your documents requires them to have been legalised by the authorities in your own country and also the paraguayan consulate in your home country is the first step. after arriving in paraguay it will take roughly 10-15 working days to prepare your documents and then they can be submitted to migraciones for the carnet which enables you to complete the process of obtaining permanent residency. this process takes between 90 and 110 days, during which you do not have to be in the country providing you give a limited power of attorney so your representative can deal with any queries. once your carnet for permanent residency has been issued, you must return to complete the cedula application process within 180 days or the residency process is rendered void.

i have a number of other posts on this site and i suggest you read them as they provide information on this process.

saludos cordiales,

ariel ortiz santander

hi ariel

If I give a power of attony to fill my my permanent residency card application to the lawyer,Do I need to come second time to paraguay???

Hello Naveen

If a lawyer has power of attorney, he may collect the carnet when it is issued, this is the proper residency document.

You must come and apply for your cedula in person. The cedula must be issued within 180 days of residency being granted, or the process is rendered void.

saludos cordiales

Ariel Ortiz Santander

Hi, Ariel.

Once if the DNI card is approved and after receiving i my hand,    I can travel to all south American countries without a passport???? . and with the same DNI card can i travel to Europe, North american  countries where they provide on arrival visa or Do i need the  Paraguay Passport where in i need to wait for 3 years time to avail my citizenship.

How does it work with Indian passport and Paraguay DNI card ? while i travel to European union.

Hello my friends,
  Regarding the very interesting post, although It's been years, I have all the information needed. But the problem is that I live in Kuwait, and I'm from Syria, and I have all original papers and there's no Paraguayan embassy in Kuwait. If I can get the papers legalized in Syria can I legalize them from the embassy of Paraguay of neighbor countries like Lebanon. So I will translate the papers and legalize them in Lebanon. 'asantander' If you can help me in the next step as my attorney.

best regards,

kutaiba