Speaking Spanish in Bolivia

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Spanish is essential for a successful integration in Bolivia. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Spanish? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Bolivia?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Bolivians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Dear Priscilla

I previously resided  in Bolivia for three years and I am ashamed to admit that I am still unable to speak the Spanish language fluently. Whilst in the company of my Bolivian wife we communicate in the English language and all her relations are fluent in the English language as well.

That is not to say I do not want to converse in the Spanish language, I have been trying to teach myself Spanish for seven years with very little success. I am able to communicate in Spanish in every day situations as I have a vocabulary of over 2000 words and yet I tend to panic when somebody speaks to me in the Spanish language and my mind goes blank and my grammar is poor.

I will be re-united with my wife in seven months in Bolivia. I managed without Spanish previously admittedly I would love to be fluent in Spanish upon my return I can get by speaking English only