Speaking Arabic in Bahrain

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Arabic is essential for a successful integration in Bahrain. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Arabic? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Bahrain?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Bahrainis?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

You dont need to speak Arabic in Bahrain, more  than 50% of people in Bahrain are expat and they dont speak Arabic, and 80% of the half (the citizens) are able to speak English, you dont need to speak Arabic, but you really need to speak english

English is the most common language in Bahrain for the above reasons. Anyway if can speak arabic it is good.

I agree - English is THE most important language to speak in Bahrain.  I learned Arabic for 3 years [overseas] - I never use it !!  Slowly  now I am forgetting it.

If there was one language I'd recommend people learn to speak before they came to Bahrain it'd be Hindi, not Arabic. I get by fine with just English though. Though I do wish I could pick up a little bit of the language past "thank you".

some times it does matter because some of the Bahraini Nationals are not well educated and they cant speak in English or any other languages and they not perform well with you and the bad thing is that they are in key posts in govt offices as per the private sector there is nothing like that Arabic is important most of all languages are spoken by expats so no issue at all am living here from past 6 years i just know the basic arabic word until now so it doesn't matter if you are in private sector jobs

I spent two years in Saudi Arabia but I couldn't learn Arabic.

Now I am moving to Bahrain and want to start Arabic lessons.

If we can make some company I am ready to join...

I'm in.  You got a plan? Let's do this.

Hi Dear,

I think Arabic speaking not a issue if you know the English because most of the local know English.

Best Regards,
bobee

I've been in Bahrain for almost 3 1/2 years now and have also lived and worked in almost all Gulf countries and never had a problem getting by in English. Sure it would be nice and polite to learn some of the language of your host country, but as far as being a necessity, the simple answer is no.

learn some Hindi/Urdu and it gets you a long way. The people who have influence at the higher level all speak English. The people who have influence at grass roots level speak Hindi/Urdu.

I've used way more of my Hindi here than my Arabic. it really helps and it's much easier to learn the basics.

Priscilla wrote:

It is widely agreed that speaking Arabic is essential for a successful integration in Bahrain. Do you agree?

is it? Who says that? Have you been here Priscilla?

I moved to bahrain 4 months before.
Agree with everyone Speaking Arabic not necessary in Bahrain.

But definitely its an advantage if you learn.
I am a medical Professional. 50% of my Bahraini patients speak English but I do require help of my Baharaini staff for Arabic translation in rest 50%.

and eventually I feel they will not be very keen to visit again.

need not say, I have started to learn few Arabic words already!!

xxxxxx

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons + post an ad in the classifieds section of the website.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I lived in Bahrain my hole life and I used too speak Arabic very well as a 3 and a half year old but recently I cant speak Arabic at all I can speak a bit but not much its very hard for me I try so hard but I cant ever understand sometimes yes only if the person speaking Arabic makes it simple and not complicated but there are some good things about not understanding Arabic first of all if someone is trying to say a secret to someone else in front of you they wont whisper they will speak Arabic because you cant so if someone does that then either its about you or someone else

best regards

ABDULLA HAMAD

I lived in Bahrain my hole life and I used too speak Arabic very well as a 3 and a half year old but recently I cant speak Arabic at all I can speak a bit but not much its very hard for me I try so hard but I cant ever understand sometimes yes only if the person speaking Arabic makes it simple and not complicated but there are some good things about not understanding Arabic first of all if someone is trying to say a secret to someone else in front of you they wont whisper they will speak Arabic because you cant so if someone does that then either its about you or someone else

best regards

ABDULLA HAMAD