Brexit

Does anyone know what will happen to British Citizens once the Brexit thing is completed?
1. Do we still have insurance cover as before under EU or should we take out a private one.
2. Will we need visas to stay in Spain.
3. Will we need to pay tax in Uk and in Spain?
any information on this would be helpful...

Nobody knows since the UK has not negotiated the terms with the EU.   Right now anything is just speculation.

Btw, your profile says you are Australian, seems off since you're claiming to be British here :P  Please correct it if needed.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Hi Maria Has Lopez,

You might find some answers an the 'Citizens Advice Bureau ' site.

They are amazing folk who are really well versed in many subjects.

Hope this helps.

what do you mean... CLAIMING TO BE BRITISH??

Just to add to what Romaniac has said regarding Brexit; we are, at the very earliest and that's assuming that the Brits give formal notice at the end of March 2017 as planned, at least 2-years and 2 months away from the UK leaving the EU.  Nothing will change before then.

Nothing will be known about the future for all Expats (both Brits abroad and other EU citizens living in the UK) until 5-months before the end of the 2-year notice, when/if they enter the last stage of Brexit and no further negotiations are then possible.

If you are given advice other than this (even by the CAB), then whoever is offering this advice is misinformed.

One last point, the Brit PM had already offered to solve this specific issue, by guaranteeing the status of all UK-based EU citizens and there right to remain in the UK right now, on the condition that the other EU countries did the same for all British expats living in the EU, and thus remove this uncertainty;  the EU declined to take her up on this offer.

My opinion is that nothing will change regarding current expats, so in your position I wouldn't worry much and should I be wrong, you'll get 5 months notice of any changes.

Hope this helps.

? All will be revealed in the years to come ?
All I know is had we known back in 2014; prior to our decision to leave USA to relocate in UK that UK would be leaving EU in their future! 
We'd have definitely made the choice to have returned to our homeland of OZ instead of UK.   But this Brexit decision came over a year after our arrival into UK.  We were even living here so had the opportunity to Vote to Stay part of EU.   

The future of UK is still a total mystery as we UK residents take this journey into the unknown....  Including a When?   As they have decided Article 50 will be activated in March.   But then it can take anywhere up to 10 years????   So my guess us as good as the next guys?   But I'm thinking 2-5 years??

As everyone says nobody knows.

And an important thing to remember is that as Brexit trundles along what the British Government says will have much less effect on Britons living in Spain than what the Spanish Government says. Obviously any sovereign government can do lots of what it likes. Just ask all those people who thought they were Britons with certain rights before Margaret Thatcher took that away in the 1980s.

Culebronchris wrote:

..... Just ask all those people who thought they were Britons with certain rights before Margaret Thatcher took that away in the 1980s.

Assuming you mean Trade Union rights?  She certainly started it, Major continued it, but so (strangely enough) did the Labour Government when they came to power; they had 13 years and a massive majority to role back the clock, but decided not to.  I guess rights are not so human as we all thought at the time. :)