Moving to Bangkok this April !

Hello everyone,

I am moving to Bangkok this April and would love to hear everyone's own experiences to help with the process. I am slightly overwhelmed  ( I think this will be a common feeling) but am very excited!

I have accommodations and work - I just would like to know about the customs, what I should wear, bring with me, how you found it when you first got there ( the culture shock), etc.
The normal things. Any advice would be super appreciated!

Greetings!  I'm American and I've been here for 9 years so I guess I'd just need to remember back to how things were at the start.  It's not unusual for people to ask what to bring, with the standard answers being they have everything here that's in other Western countries, but that bringing some specific favorites might be helpful (eg. specific supplements, hair care products, anything for which using a different version might not seem the same).  Cold weather clothing doesn't come up so much, but then you knew that.  We just went back to the States for a visit and that's when different options become noticeable, because you either buy what's not here or eat what isn't available then.  Something like Hanes or Fruit of the Loom white t-shirts they don't have here, for example--odd what's different like that.

Culture shock did take time to adjust to.  That would depend a lot on the person and the environment they are moving to.  Working in a Western company or international NGO might be easier for having pre-established connections to other foreigners here.  Of course integrating and not focusing on living the exact same lifestyle and mostly hanging out with foreigners really is an option.  I have young kids, and family life seems more the same anywhere, with visits to parks and such.

It's not as obvious what culture shock even is until you experience it.  Part would be about things looking different, or adjusting to other modes of transportation, shopping options, etc.  But Thais shop at grocery stores too, and there are malls, and parks, so it's not as if everything is different.  For me the subtle changes were harder and took longer, the way people thought and communicated differently.  Of course without learning Thai it takes lots of adjustment to not knowing what lots of people are saying, and it's hard to become fluent quickly.

Let me know if I can help further.  Part of spending lots of time with family is about not having much to spend other ways but I'd be happy to help more if I could.

Learn more about the country and people in Thailand, it's hard to get adjusted, but very very beautiful and cheap cheap cheap

:)

Observe - Think - Ask .... ;)

Bangkok is a megacity and THE city that never sleeps (.. sorry, no - this label is not for NYC ...). Depending where you live, work (and how much)  and whom you work with, you might  - except for climate - not experience a too big of a difference. In Bangkok you generally get far with English language skills, same when following the tourist trail.

Once you leave it, you will find Thais to be polite, friendly, curious and helpful. Never ask a Thai for direction though. Knowing the answer or not - they usually will give you a direction, be it right or wrong. But may be you caught or interpreted the response wrong ... Surprisingly many drivers can´t read maps or use GPS. Issues get solved by cellphone. Good way around is you can call someone at your destination with Thai language skill to explain the driver how to get, where you plan to go.

For Thais, life is about food. Difficult to imagine any place can survive from Thai customers not offering food. Subject during coffee break in the morning most likely is what and where to have lunch. And over lunch, what and where to have dinner. And the "Kanom" inbetween. Difficult to describe what that is - but may be summarising it as "any cold cut or snack" hits it,  as anything eatable that is not hot is not considered a meal. All orders in Thai food places are served together (well, usually not - they come as they come -there is just  no order like starter, main dish, dessert...) and are shared. Usually small portions - but wide choice in taste (already a two people order you would try to order Rice, Noodle, Meat, Fish/Seafood, Vegetable and Soup).

Work is only subject for work and stays at work. The small talk question outside of the office when meeting Thais what they are doing and where they  is perceived impolite. Better talk about food ... ;)

Read a couple of books, check information on e.g. tripadvisor, be open and ready to learn. With tolerance and a smile you won´t run into trouble here.

Welcome and hope to fully enjoy what Thailand has to offer to you.

Welcome to land of smiles, hope you arrive ???????????

Hello,
How are you?
I will be moving to Bangkok on September 6.
I would like to speak to you via email or any way that you would feel comfortable.  I'm just looking for some words of wisdom from expats that have been here.
Thanks!

Welcome to Thailand.

It is a very nice country. I have enjoyed my stay here thus far.

It would be useful to pick up the language if possible and do have patience as some procedures or protocols may leave you frustrated.

All else is great