Cheap apartment rental

Hi everyone,  my name is Paul and I'm  thinking of retirement in a coastal town in Ecuador.  My income is limited to 1100 US dollars.  I have traveled and lived overseas for 6 months at a time for the past 10 years.  I like to fish, shop at local markets and have a cold beer with friends. I also like bike riding and a trip to the gym about 3 times a week to keep my mind, body, and spirit nourished which is critical for my 74 year old body. I'm open and flexable to locations so any info you might have to offer will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking time to read my post and contribute.
Greatfully yours,
Paul

There are many towns and many micro-climates along the long shoreline of Ecuador.

Come visit.  See what appeals to you.

Keep in mind there was a devastating series of earthquakes last year in the north coast.  You may want to avoid the worst-hit areas as they continued to be seismically active.

High season in many coastal places is now through May.

cccmedia

The area of Manglaralto, Montanita, Olon would be a great area for you to visit.

A reasonably appointed place  with hot water and a/c, WiFi, and other amenities runs about $400 a month and the price of fresh food is quite low. There is a thriving and laid back gringo community here but one that mingles comfortably with the local community. Montanita has an excellent gym and sports, yoga, and dancing are activities enjoyed by all ages.

I have lived on the coast for over 8 years, and the past 10 months in Montanita in the center if town. It's a great fit for me.

Susan

Susan,

What did you notice in terms of tourism during the holiday season in your area and the coast this year (December  2016 - first half of January 2017)?

Compared to previous years, for instance.

cccmedia

Salinas (Santa Elena)

Hello,
I live in Tonsupa, Esmeraldas ( near Atacames).
If you are looking for relaxation, a tranquil and peaceful beach town preserving the local Ecuadorian ambience, you should consider this area.
Not a gringo community, however, you can find fellow expats in "downtown" Atacames exploring the area once in a while.
Yes, it was hit by strong tremblors last month, thus many buildings have been damaged, however, life continues as normal as it can be.
Your monthly income will be sufficient to live comfortably applying the Ecuadorian life style. As a Senior, you'll also enjoy few extra benefits, such as paying only $ 0,13 (thirteen cents) to ride the bus between towns.
The locals will welcome you with open arms.

MM

marcomueses wrote:

I live in Tonsupa, Esmeraldas....

As a Senior, you'll also enjoy few extra benefits, such as paying only $ 0,13 (thirteen cents) to ride the bus....

Seniors get the 50 percent discount on buses/public transportation in all EC metros.

In Quito, the usual 25-cent fare drops to 12 cents for seniors, one centavo less than in Esmeraldas.

Of course, anyone who's factoring in that half-centavo benefit when deciding whether / where to live in Ecuador may really be living on the edge. :D

cccmedia