Athlete's foot--->need your help, please!!

Yikes!

Coming from Wisconsin where only one month ago I was applying lotion to my feet because of the dry, cool air, my body has been shocked by the moisture here.  Our apartment gets especially wet after the shower has been run.

So, all of a sudden, I have a bad case of athlete's foot.  I did find a pharmacy in Phu My Hung after I found an American that directed me there (bless you, doll-face), but they sell these little tiny tubes of cream for 28,000 dong...but the amount is good for one day!  I went back to the pharmacy (the nice lady doesn't speak English, I had to do a web-search of the various chemicals that do the trick and show them to her) and asked for a big tube, but they don't have it.  Drats!  The treatment is multiple weeks, so I don't really want to (nor do I feel it is necessary) to spend 28,000 per day on what is quite a common malady (It is called Hong Kong foot or jungle rot, for Pete's sake!)

So, sorry to put such a long tail on this kite, but where can I go to get what I need?  An address would be marvelous!  Or, I have heard good things about tea tree oil...where can I buy that?

Please, save me!  I do appreciate your help and guidance!

Cheers!

Take the medicine around to different pharmacies, until you find another that has it cheaper.  Get out of D1 and the price will probably drop.  When you find one with a suitable price, buy them out.  The price may go up if you keep coming back. 

Foot care products seem to be one of the harder medicines to find here.  Those and heartburn tablets, like Tums.

Thank you! 

I brought a lifetime supply of Tums, but now that I am away from high fructose corn syrup and fried garbage I don't even touch the things.  Ha!

I bought the cream in D7, so...I am scared that it might be the lowest price.  Why isn't this stuff more readily available?  That's strange...oh well, it's Vietnam...

Do you know how much of a hassle it will be to get some cream mailed by my family in the US? 

Tea tree oil?  Is that more plentiful?

THANK YOU!

I am afraid that here we don't have much of tea tree oil even though there are so many green tea around here. if you want, you can get tea tree oil at La potheque spa or Harn and Tharn place in dist.1. It's a bit pricy.
Try to soak your feet in luke warm water with a bit of salt. It might help.
Take care

Not sure about the tea oil.  I'd go to the place Upsidedown mentioned.

You could also try one of the traditional Vietnamese medicine shops.  They may have a concoction that cures it.

You can probably have it shipped in, but they'd probably want a little money at the airport.  Your best bet is finding someone that is coming here and have them bring it to you.

I have yet to find hydrogen peroxide, or bottles of alcohol.

Want to crack a Viet up?  Pull out some chapstick and apply it to your lips.  Funniest thing in the world to most of them, seeing a guy use it.

Thanks Wide Awake in America!

Usually when I want to crack a Viet up I order food doing my Count Chocula or Ed Sullivan impersonation.  I am always open to using props in my daily shenanigans and hijinx, though! 

Advice appreciated, in all seriousness.

@Wide awake. Have you been able to find a source for chapstick here. I ask everybody that comes from the U.S. visiting us to bring some with then. That, and extra strengh Tylenol.

I'm not sure which the tube that you got, did you mean this one? This is very popular here and I think it's good for your feet.

http://www.thaiduong.com.vn/home/images/stories/got_sen.jpg

About the "Tea Tree Oil" I think you can get it at The Body Shop on 23 Mac Dinh Chi street, District 1. The price is okey compare to Singapore and UK

Budman1 wrote:

@Wide awake. Have you been able to find a source for chapstick here. I ask everybody that comes from the U.S. visiting us to bring some with then. That, and extra strengh Tylenol.

I haven't seen the chapstick brand, but there are places that have similar products.  The last one I bought was at Siêu thị Hà Nội, 189 Cống Quỳnh.  After 2 years I finally got fed up with the staff, however.  On the last trip the cashier felt is necessary to comment to another cashier about...you guessed it...the lip balm.  Body language told me it wasn't a nice comment.  Take thick skin if you chose to shop there.

CitiMart has a lot of western products, so you may want to look there.  They're at 21-23 Nguyen Trai. 

The pharmacy I use is at 678 Nguyen Dinh Chieu.  They have profenid gel, for athletes foot, for 24K.  They also have Dr. Scholls spray, for 80K.

In treating athlete's foot, you should take the same precautions as you would when you have toenail fungus. It is important that you observe good foot hygiene that includes drying your feet well before wearing shoes, avoid wearing the same socks two days in a row, and wear the right footwear in public shower rooms and gyms. If your condition persist, it is better if you seek professional help in order to gain the right treatment and to avoid your athlete's foot from worsening. You can also use over the counter treatments like Fungusil to address your athlete's foot. Hope that helps.

Aloha,
I have just been cured of a nasty case of Athletes Foot. Go to a hospital-type pharmacy and purchase DALIBOUR 60ml. It's a blue liquid that does doesn't sting like alcohol. After you shower or, whenever needed, apply the liquid to the effected areas and let air-dry. It's a miracle cure. The lotions and creams will only keep the area moist and cause further damage. This product is very cheap and it will come in handy again and, again. Trust me on this one. You will feel instant relief after one application.

DILABOUR 60ml. will also work on other parts of the body. It is also used for such nasty conditions as, crotch rot. Let me know if you have any success.
Good luck,
Mike

P.S.-DILABOUR 60ml. does not need to be translated. Just write it down for the pharmacist and, if they don't have it on hand, they will order a case for you. Don't mess with the Tea Tree Oil! That cure-all is espoused openly by both; hippies and, new age vegetarian survivalists. Oil will NOT dry out the effected area . . . it will only prolong your agony. The next thing you know the people who advised you to use Tea Tree Oil, will be trying to convince you to liberally douse your body with Patchouli Oil, adorn yourself with hemp-woven trinkets and, fire-dance naked under the full moon.
Aloha,
Mike

I had no trouble eating anything during my two one month trips. Maybe because I eat so much Vietnamese food in NYC? But likely no because I only ate Vietnamese once or twice a month prior to my first trip (because I lived in CT at the time).

The biggest thing I found was to avoid raw vegetables. Unless you wash them yourself first, of course.

Apple Cider Vinegar is cheap and non toxic remedy that will help your athletes foot. Give it a google search. I had AF when I first came to Saigon and put ACV on it for about a week and it dried it up and I havent had it since. You can find organic ACV at the Organik shop in Thao Dien. The regular ACV is at any supermarket.   

*I'm looking for some hydrogen peroxide, which is how I came across this thread 2 years later

Hi wrightEd,

Thank you for the sharing of information.

As you noticed, you posted on an old thread.

You may start a new discussion with all your questions on the Ho Chi Minh City forum for better interaction.

Best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

hello, how r u?
do u still get pain on ur foot?

viet-mike wrote:

Aloha,
I have just been cured of a nasty case of Athletes Foot. Go to a hospital-type pharmacy and purchase DALIBOUR 60ml. It's a blue liquid that does doesn't sting like alcohol. After you shower or, whenever needed, apply the liquid to the effected areas and let air-dry. It's a miracle cure. The lotions and creams will only keep the area moist and cause further damage. This product is very cheap and it will come in handy again and, again. Trust me on this one. You will feel instant relief after one application.

DILABOUR 60ml. will also work on other parts of the body. It is also used for such nasty conditions as, crotch rot. Let me know if you have any success.
Good luck,

Mike

I was given MAICA in a clinic in Cao Lanh for a bad case of foot fungus I got working in Africa.  My lady bought be a package of 12 in Saigon Pharmacy, worked in just a few days.  It is also a bluish color and is made in Vietnam.

Just noticed this post is 3 years old, but hope my answer will help someone.

HI I picked up some type of infection here in Perth which caused a sticky feeling between my toes, being resourceful i tried a spray disinfectant and it has worked very well 2 applications and its gone