Buying in Bulgaria

Hi all, my 2 stotinki here.
I live in Bulgaria. I am permanently working and living in Bulgaria. I have two kids.

So after the introduction. Bulgaria is not UK, that is obvious and one of the reasons people is coming here. Not only for the good but also for the bad.
Healthcare is not perfect, but with the money you are bringing from UK (and it does not need to be a lot) you can pay for private care and you will discover that 25 euros will provide a lot of good healthcare. Public Hospitals are full of wonderful and skilled doctors without the needed "materials".
Crime and security. Robbery? Yes. Is security an issue? NO, not at all. No a higher rate than you can suffer at any other European country.

But that is not what I want to highlight. Everywhere one may have problems, find crime, have a health problem. And everywhere you will have some kind of pros and cons.

But I am living here, and I like it. And I like to life standard although it might not be at the level of other countries but I like it.
And no, I don't have any commision for expats coming ...

:offtopic: please concentrate on the initial topic!

You may start a new discussion on the Bulgaria forum.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Hi Simbol,

With regards to crime, you are so right. Here in the UK it has become a real problem. Stabbings have become common place and alcohol and drugs usually are at the root cause of it.

I think Bulgaria is a sensible option, and can be no worse than  here,  or any where else for that matter.

I have been looking to buy property also, but not yet sure which area, although Rhodope looks beautiful with mountain views and clean air.
Living in a town would not appeal to me one little bit.

Good luck with you`re search and remain positive!

Regards... Sylvia.

Hi Buster ,

Dont NEVER buy a property without seeing it !!!!!!!!!!
And be carreful with real estates. A lot of them are not serious at all. Try to buy strait from the owner .

Axinia Naskova
                              Bulgarian citizen

Thank you for you`re advice.
I will certainly bear that in mind. It is difficult not knowing who to trust, when it is so easy to have such a professional looking web site. I know it could be very easy to be fooled.

Hi Sylvia ,

When you are looking to the pictures from houses on all this websides most of the time there are only one or maby two pictures
from inside the property . No picture from bathroom or kitchen !
That's why you have to go en look by youself !
Cheep houses here need always renovations works !
Have a nice weekend ,
                              Axinia

Hi Axinia,

Yes you`re right,  some of the pictures can be quite deceiving.

We are only shown what the property agents want us to see, the nicer bits.
I often wonder what is around the property. It may be too close to a river in a flood prone area, near a power plant or even in an earth quake zone.
Yes we all want to believe that we are getting a bargain deal but
now, reading through all theses posts, it makes you realize that a so called bargain can turn into a nightmare scenario.
Thank you all for you`re advice. I have now given up the idea of buying blindly on ebay and plan to visit Bulgaria in the Spring.

Sylvia .
Maby you are interested to buy in the north of Bulgaria .
I am living in a nice village near Lom . Already many people from Western Europe and UK are living in our village .
If you are comming to Bulgaria maby to the north side I can always help you . Nothing to pay , I already help most of the new citizen over here .
If you are looking in other regions I wich you all the best .. but be carefull.                       
                             Axinia

[Moderated: Please post an ad in Housing section]

Hi Eleonia .

Send me some pictures form outside an inside maby I can help you .
Where is this house situated ?

Axinia and Philippe
mail :  [email protected]

[moderated : advertising is not allowed]

Looking for as much info about Bulgaria I can find. Buying Property thereat the moment

What are you looking for? City/seaside/rural?

Hi, I purchased house on Ebay in BG 2 years ago through estate agent in dobrich with no problems at all. My house is in Krasen not far from a wonderfull huge lake/dam. I love the area not to far from varna, ok if you have transport of course. If you are intending to purchase in dobrich area try use the solicitor named Svetlin Stoev in dobrich EXCELLENT speaks great English to which is a great help.
All the best
Col..

Hi I have a small half built house near to Varna,
I intend to take next summer off, and try to complete the building work myself., Any info will be greatly apreciated, materials, I'll need a mixer, some scaffolding etc.

IvorjHall wrote:

I live in Veliko Tarnovo. It is the best place in Bulgaria!!

A personal opinion as there are many other 'best places' in Bulgaria ;)

Hate to break up the party and return to topic but may I, for a moment concentrate on buying a property on Ebay. First, I agree with the general advice that it is not a good idea. Second, I'm astonished that a legal professional should join the discussion and not mention the largest snag. You can pay as much as you like to an Ebay vendor but you will not own the property until you or your attorney signs the necessary paperwork in front of a notary. (I will move off-topic for a second and ask her if she would describe her qualifications and how to check those of other legal professionals).

I have investigated this form of property sales and am ashamed to admit I found myself talking to a countryman of mine who seemed to be in charge of the operation. Without concrete proof I would not describe this as a scam and there are, apparently people who have bought successfully this way. If you are brave, have the time to spare to fly over to Bulgaria to complete the formalities, are willing to risk the initial non-returnable deposit before seeing the property and like surprises then have pop, you may be lucky.

I agree with much of what WorldExpat says although I'm lucky, just being in my early sixties I'm not obsessed with health care. Research is everything and I speak as a buyer not far ahead of you in the process. It is possible to achieve a great deal on the web but not everything. Making a life-changing decision like this needs some time spent in the country.

Finally, I'm not so wedded to the idea of the perfect estate agent. They are all in business to make money and are unlikely to paint a negative picture when they get the sniff of a sale. If you have time, get out there and look at the locations, ask around, particularly in villages it won't be hard to find someone who knows what's for sale. If you don't have time to do that then I would caution against making the move at all.