Re-entering U.S. with ESTA and a question about medical treatment visa

Hi,

My situation is that I'm gonna enter the U.S. on an ESTA and my plan is to see a doctor and hopefully get perscribed medicine that's not available in my country. I have two questions.

1. I wonder if I'm allowed to re-enter the U.S. really soon after I come back to my home country, with the same ESTA (it lasts for two years). First I'm gonna go to the U.S. in March (surely this will be fine) and leave in May. So could I possibly only stay in my home country for like a week or two and then re-enter the U.S. in early June.

My plan when re-entering is to explain to the officer that the medicine has been effective (I wouldn't be re-entering if it hadn't been) and also there happens to be an event I'd like to participate in in the summer.

2. I also am wondering about the visitor visa for medical treatment in USA.

http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/vi … tment.html

I won't be using this the first time I enter the U.S. because there seems to be a lot of bureaucracy, like it's so much work. However, I am thinking of applying for this for the second or the third trip to the U.S.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to get this visa for pretty much continual treatment in the U.S.; I have gone through all medicine that's available in my country and nothing has worked. Of course I'm speaking hypothetically - if the medicine doesn't work when I try it out on my first trip, I won't be coming back to the U.S.

Sorry this was quite long and maybe not the clearest post. I will be happy to explain if there's some confusion about something. Apparently I didn't get a single question mark in, but the questions are there somewhere :D

In short form:

1. Is it okay when I return to my home country from USA to stay just a week and then travel back to USA? I have ESTA, which allows me to stay in USA for three months at one time.

2. I wonder if it's possible to stay in USA indefinitely on the basis of "visitor visa for medical treatment in USA"? Possibly I would apply for some other visa in USA after some time, if the treatment has been successful.

qwerty21 wrote:

1. Is it okay when I return to my home country from USA to stay just a week and then travel back to USA? I have ESTA, which allows me to stay in USA for three months at one time.

Theoretically, no. The ESTA is just an electronic authorization to travel to the USA. Under the Visa Waiver Program, you can come to the US without applying for a visa for the sole purpose of tourism (can also be for short-term medical treatment) for up to 90 days a year.
If you come back to the US after such a short period of time, you may not be authorized to enter the US. All this is at the discretion of the immigration officer. Some people have been able to use the VWP 3 times in a year, others have been rejected on the second try.

qwerty21 wrote:

2. I wonder if it's possible to stay in USA indefinitely on the basis of "visitor visa for medical treatment in USA"? Possibly I would apply for some other visa in USA after some time, if the treatment has been successful.

There is no status on staying indefinitely, especially without a visa. For long term stay, you will need a visa.

Thanks for the reply! The second question I asked, I meant that I would apply for the visitor visa (for medical treatment). But it's just a question of whether I'd be approved when the treatment would be continual. But yeah I think it's a tough sell. I'm still gonna look into it, but I'm not too hopeful.

This is a very specific case. I would explore the possibility of talking to an immigration lawyer in your country.

English2Francais wrote:

This is a very specific case. I would explore the possibility of talking to an immigration lawyer in your country.

Yes, I'm definitely thinking about it. Actually I might have a meeting with an immigration lawyer in the United States. They say they can do a free consultation. Hopefully they don't think my case is too smallball for them.

I would meet them during my first trip to the States. As I said, I have ESTA, and by all accounts it should be valid because the only time I've used it is for a stopover in the States some months ago.